 Local / Australia / 2512
Re: LegOz 2000.X - BrikWars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 14:36:19 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Mike Rayhawk writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, James Howse writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Parsons writes:
Since we seemed to stress the fabric of BrikWars with a 250+ fig battle
(regardless, nice work James Howse, Gamemaster and Grand Wizard of
Probability)
Thanks. I had to have a lie down after (2+ dice roll to achieve
horizontality, 7+ to sleep).
250+ figs?  You guys don't mess around!  I've never tried a battle of that
scale, it seems like it could get out of hand real fast.  If you came up with
any tricks to streamline a game with such large forces, I'd love to hear about
them.

Posssibly a bit of exaggeration, more like 200 figs, hmm that's still lots
isn't it?

Firstly, the game took about 7 hours to play. Second, as you know mortality is
very high in the game, though there were around 50 figs left at the end.

Streamlining? we just plowed on. As per disclaimer most of the rules were
ignored most of the time. It did start out by the book but by 9pm at night
things got rather handwavey.

Jason Rowoldt has taken it on himself to create a series of
scenarios in a loosely-structured campaign - you might try something similar.
(For a postmortem of the first scenario, see
http://www.lugnet.com/org/us/wamalug/?n=617 .  For plans for their next
scenario, see http://www.lugnet.com/fun/gaming/?n=538 ).

I've watched it, cool stuff. We'll end up lifing many of the ideas (like
predeterimined force cost limits)

No seige weapons (armies have been on forced march, the baggage train has
been left behind).

Rather than going to all the work of hauling in siege weapons from wherever
they were coming from, an army would bring in an engineer and a squad of
slaves to build the things from scratch.

The catapults in the game were actual catapults, they flung stuff rather than
using dice (except as ammo), we just propelled stuff into the fray. Having an
engineer build something means mucking about to make it stay together when
used is pointless when it's effect can be emulated by dice regardless of how
it ACTUALLY works. The enjoyment Richard and Kevin had was in the flinging
stuff.
I think the scenerio planned will require a fast assault force rather than a
seige army or a balanced all-rounder force. In my opinion most of the best
bits in battles are charges and assaults, rather than the exchange of large
rocks over distance (of course a group charging roklobbers is always good
too).

James (who wants to say "Thanks Mike!" for the rules)