 Local / Australia / 1347
Re: New 2000.2 catalogue - sexism rules OK?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 03:32:55 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
Of course, the catalogue is age-ist as well as sex-ist. When did you last
see a middle-aged person depicted as playing with Lego in the catalogue (as
opposed to being shown smiling approvingly in the background as a child
plays with Lego)? Actually, there exists at least one. Check it out at:

   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/ideabook/12a.jpg

I'm glad he's just sucking that pipe, rather than smoking it, hope that
wasn't some early form of product placement by the tobacco industry.
I like the prominent display of wedding rings too, imagine single adults
contemplating the construction of dwellings together.
What Lego part has the woman got stuck on her ear (Paradisa umbrella ?)

[Aside. Ah, that photo takes me back; I used to have that set of Lego trees
when I was a kid. More 2-D than the current ones but much more lifelike. Of
course, the trunks were very easy to break, speaking from experience.]

Those trees were great, the new trees are bizarre when compared.
I think I had six or seven types of 2D trees.

Maybe we should do a mock-up of a Lego catalogue depicting only adults at
play; we could include children, but only if they are shown as being elbowed
out of the way :-)

Smiling contentedly in the background (and proudly).

The stupid part about the whole sexism/ageism thing is that it doesn't
actually make a lot of economic sense. Surely Lego want to sell their
products as much as possible, so why unnecessarily create in the minds of
the reader of the catalogue, the inference that certain products are
more/less suitable for particular ages or sexes? (Obviously minimum age
ranges are needed for reasons related to motor skills and choking hazards,
but otherwise?).

Especially stupid when you consider who has the disposable income.
What we need is a new age religion advocating Lego use as leading to
spiritual enlightenment.

pete.w <aquanaut@optusnet.com.au>