 Local / Australia / 1340
Re: New 2000.2 catalogue - sexism rules OK?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 03:18:16 GMT

Of course, the catalogue is age-ist as well as sex-ist. When did you last
see a middle-aged person depicted as playing with Lego in the catalogue (as
opposed to being shown smiling approvingly in the background as a child
plays with Lego)? Actually, there exists at least one. Check it out at:

    http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/ideabook/12a.jpg

[Aside. Ah, that photo takes me back; I used to have that set of Lego trees
when I was a kid. More 2-D than the current ones but much more lifelike. Of
course, the trunks were very easy to break, speaking from experience.]

Maybe we should do a mock-up of a Lego catalogue depicting only adults at
play; we could include children, but only if they are shown as being elbowed
out of the way :-)

The stupid part about the whole sexism/ageism thing is that it doesn't
actually make a lot of economic sense. Surely Lego want to sell their
products as much as possible, so why unnecessarily create in the minds of
the reader of the catalogue, the inference that certain products are
more/less suitable for particular ages or sexes? (Obviously minimum age
ranges are needed for reasons related to motor skills and choking hazards,
but otherwise?).

Kerry