 Local / Australia / 10886
Re: Brickmeet '03 organising [Build/Play/Trade/Meet]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 06:13:47 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, James Howse writes:
In the absence of our bimonthly Sydney meeting, where much of this stuff
would be thrashed out, I'll throw some organising thoughts into the ether
and listen to the echoes instead.

Please trim the subject line above to reflect which of the lines of thought
you're replying to (I don't mind mulitple replies in the one thread).

Build
Possible activities here are a building competion and/or a timed build
individual or group. Theme? Prizes? Suggetions? Offers to Judge?

The theme is easy: it should be sailing vessels of the late 18th and early
19th centuries. :-)

Play
I'm happy to organise/referee one of the following.
Space flavoured brikwars: TL6, Spring 2000 ruleset (the internet version)
500pts max, no stats no play.

If we go with this option, definitely no stats no play. IIRC this is the
system we used last year, and was (just) quick enough to keep it
interesting. I'd be inclined to say 500pts including at least one (or
perhaps two) vehicles worth (say) 100pts, or no more than 25 troops or
something, just to keep playing pieces to a minimum (and therefore playing
speed to a maximum).

OR
Legowars (recently renamed Brick Battles) Castle flavoured: Prefernce for
'real' firing seige weapons, allowed as many troops as can fit on a 16x16 base.

A 16x16 base at first seemed too small to fit a practical number of castle
troops onto it. Then I realised that I could fit a many tiered castle on a
16 x 16 base.... ;-)

With either the above two, a fairly compact fully baseplated surface would
be ideal... between Sydneysiders we should be able to come up with a
sufficient number of baseplates.

I'm sure trains will be popular too. Please respond if you can bring track
so we don't have lots of trains and nowhere to run them.

I'll bring a loop (with passing sidings) of 4.5V/pushalong track. Not sure
that that helps much, but you never know.

Table space might be a problem for trains... would a layout-on-the-floor be
okay?

Trade
If you're a Bricklink store owner (or similar) and would like a bit of space
to show your goods, please let me know. Here or e-mail.

This is a good idea. I'll volunteer to revamp the trade page for attendees
who have particular trade needs (I know I'd like to pick up a cheap RBR bow
- or sell of a cheap RBR stern - just to keep things in matched sets!).

Meet
Depending on when people are arriving/leaving...
Dinner Sat night?
We can probably come up with a venue once we know where (most) people are
staying.
(Which reminds me, I'll be researching local accomodation & prices this week).

James (who starts in a new position at work soon... more brick money!)
Congratulations! More brick money can only be a good thing.

Cheers

Richie