 Local / Australia / 10429
Re: Orient sets pictured at S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 22:25:57 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:

Well, AFOLs have been demanding classical Greek and Roman sets for some time.
Bring on the Parthenon of Athens, the Library at Ephesus, the Colliseum of
Rome, we cry!

Yes, the facadism of Lego sets could work out well depicting ruins !

Although I realise that Adventurers is not a licenced theme, I assume it was an
attempt to cash in on the success of the Indiana Jones movies, and all the
me-toos like Tomb Raider etc. So any settings from those movies would appear to
be up for grabs in the Adventurers theme. Imagine the Treasury at Petra (as
seen in Raiders of the Lost Ark) in sand red! Yummy!

Indiana Jones was an attempt to recapture the old Saturday afternoon movie
feel of Adventure movies. I wonder what director SS thought of the Lego
Adventurers line, he must have been aware of it, since Adventurers crossed
into the Studio theme for a few sets.

I know Lego are averse to producing war toys (the Red Baron was purely a
photojournalist ;^), but could they ever produce a spy theme like James Bond.
They have the generic Bond-type evildoer with Ogel.

Of course, it is interesting to see the Indian flavour of the Orient Expedition
sets. One wonders if this is in any way connected to the massive growth of the
middle class in India that so many economic forecasters go on about. I have no
idea if Lego is currently popular in India, but a growing middle class in a
country with the population of India would certainly be a logical target
market. Similarly, there is a belief that China will spawn a similarly massive
middle class social group sooner or later. Maybe we will soon be seeing the
Forbidden Palace, the Great Wall and massive armies of Entombed Warrior
minifigs (the Brikwarriors will go bezerk)!

Yes, all the beneficiaries of Australian companies outsourcing call centres
and computing tasks to India will be having children now or soon ;^)

Belville wanders off to the 'Orient' as well in 2003, with the funky colour
combos of pink and orange and green.

I was also thinking about China. Most of the ninjas that I have sold on ebay
have gone to Hong Kong, which is interesting since it's a Japanese theme.
There is obviously a hunger in Asia for Lego depictions of a regional nature.
Economically China will steamroll on to a position of even greater influence
globally. Though Lego may be wary of the local pirate brands of blocks.

pete.w