 Local / Australia / 10427
Re: Orient sets pictured at S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 20:07:16 GMT

But as any regular loc.au viewer knows, the BURP (Basically
Unrecommended Retail Price aka RRP) varies to the BIG WARP (BIG W Accepted
Retail Price) to the PERP (Pre-Easter Price)to the PCP (Pre-Christmas Price)
to the POOP (Percentage Off Occasional Price).

This is what I figured. I shall simply wait for a KMart 20% off or similar.

To me, this new Orient theme
seems to be a cross-over between Egyptian and Islander stylistically.

With the archeological basis for the theme, there
will always be tombs and treasure, and time-frame wise biplanes.
Are there any more theatres for the Adventurers to explore ?

Well, AFOLs have been demanding classical Greek and Roman sets for some time.
Bring on the Parthenon of Athens, the Library at Ephesus, the Colliseum of
Rome, we cry!

Although I realise that Adventurers is not a licenced theme, I assume it was an
attempt to cash in on the success of the Indiana Jones movies, and all the
me-toos like Tomb Raider etc. So any settings from those movies would appear to
be up for grabs in the Adventurers theme. Imagine the Treasury at Petra (as
seen in Raiders of the Lost Ark) in sand red! Yummy!

Of course, it is interesting to see the Indian flavour of the Orient Expedition
sets. One wonders if this is in any way connected to the massive growth of the
middle class in India that so many economic forecasters go on about. I have no
idea if Lego is currently popular in India, but a growing middle class in a
country with the population of India would certainly be a logical target
market. Similarly, there is a belief that China will spawn a similarly massive
middle class social group sooner or later. Maybe we will soon be seeing the
Forbidden Palace, the Great Wall and massive armies of Entombed Warrior
minifigs (the Brikwarriors will go bezerk)!

Kerry