 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5728
Re: Question about the new trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 02:00:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Rob Hendrix wrote:

Hi Rob,

additinally to your theory there is another problem with the wheelsets: they are partly moulded wrong, as you easiely can recognise in this picture

Jake has told us long ago this was a mistake by a third-party-manufacturer.

   IMHO, the problem lies in this theory:
  • The axles are made of metal.
  • Metal is harder than plastic.
  • When putting metal in direct contact with plastic, the plastic will wear.

I agree.

  • Check the spot where the point of the metal axle meets the plastic “hole”

Especially for the grey ones, where the frame is evidently thicker.

   Which leads me to some questions of my own:
  • Why do the gray ones erode when the black ones do not (as fast)?
  • Is gray ABS softer than black ABS?

I would say: YES. Maybe a change of material has caused this (we have heard about the use of cheaper ABS types a few times at 1000steine - employees of BAYER (producer of the ABS raw material) told this.)

On the other hand this could be cause by other moulding temperatures and process steering as well. I am no expert for this topic.

  • is there a new mold that is the problem?

Yes: at least Jake told so.

  • Can I trade my gray wheelsets in for ones tht work (assuming the problem

You can, but most people seem to get only defectives again. So better do a modification as suggested by Mark here.

my Homepage:

P.s.: This topic is so old now.... A search for wheel set under the lugnet.lego.direct will lead you to lots of questions and a few answers.