 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 475
Re: Brickmania calls it quits on custom model kits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 13:35:37 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Todd Lehman writes:

<Dan Siskind is exiting the custom kit biz, but may make a CD of instructions
available at some point>

That reminds me...  Brad J. mentioned a few months ago that one thing LD is
potentially considering as a website function for LSAH is allowing people to
design and upload MOC's and let other people buy copies of them.

Can you, or Brad, elaborate on this? It begs a lot of questions:

- Any restrictions on parts? If restricted to the current bulk parts
assortment all you can build are various different modern buildings with trees
around them. If allowed to select ANYTHING, the logistics boggle the mind.
Somewhere in the middle seems right, but there will be an interesting
management problem to get it to work correctly.

- Any royalties to the set designer, or is TLC assuming we'd do this for free?
Myself, I might do it if for every ten kits sold, TLC had to send me a copy of
the kit for free.

- And some other questions like would renderings or photographs be needed? How
do you "prove" that your design is buildable (you can LDRAW stuff with one
brick embedded in another one and so forth...)? How do you prevent this from
being turned into a way to get bizarre parts assortments sold (not that there
is anything wrong with that, mind you)?

PS, I'm not going anywhere, and I still have lots of designs left in me.
Encourage me by buying some of my newer offerings on BrickBay!

++Lar