 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 474
Re: Lego Direct vs S@H (was Re: Can you a 5' credit card for me?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 19:02:41 GMT

  I would add to Larry's statement about life being much richer. LUGNET has
enriched my life and LEGO's pockets. Being able to share
ideas with like minded people (train heads in my case) has made my LEGO hobby a
great deal more fun. Before finding LUGNET[1] I
read RTL and I created a web site because I was ready to share my ideas. I rarely
go to RTL now because I find everything I need here. If I want to talk about
trains I go to lugnet.trains, and, voila, there is almost always something there.
On RTL, I was lucky to find any
chatter about trains. The comraderie encouraged me to build more and better.
Because LUGNET encourage me to do more I bought
more LEGO. How much more is unclear; 10 or 20%, who knows. None the less, LUGNET
has increased the number of purchases made
by me. So, LUGNET has an advantage over RTL. LUGNET breaks the discussions into
groups. I think that LUGNET also has an
advantage over anything the LEGO would do online. The advantage is freedom.
Freedom to view the information and freedom from the
corporate mind set.
  As it is now, anyone can read LUGNET. To post to LUGNET you have to agree to
some very reasonable rules and sign up. After
signing up posting is simple. On LEGO's site, to view any of the content you have
to sign up, and every time you go to the site you must
log on. Frankly, the material at the LEGO site[2] does not merit the "log on"
attitude. Sorry, but there are hundreds, maybe thousands,
of fan sites with better fan creations than the stuff on the LEGO site. None of
the fan created sites have log ons. So, what happens.
Traffic is low at the LEGO site after all why bother, there is nothing to see
there.
  A LEGO site would also suffer from the corporate mind set. While the LEGO
Company is a very friendly company they are none the
less a large corporation and they do some very large corporation-esque stuff. LEGO
gets very upset when people use their logo without
permission, and this is understandable. However, LEGO is willing to use other
logos without acknowledge the trademark's owner. In
fairness to LEGO, the next issue of the LEGO club magazine did acknowledge that a
trademarked logo was used. Would LEGO have
done the same thing to LucasFilms Ltd.?
  Since LUGNET started as a small friendly place it does not have corporate
baggage associated with it. I would feel differently about
posting to a LEGO Company maintained news group than I do when I post to a LUGNET
maintained news group.
  So, Todd, I thank you for creating LUGNET, and LEGO should too.

Chris

1. By the way, thank for introducing me to LUGNET Lar.

2. The "LEGO Site" to which I am referring is the Web Club site.

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jude Beaudin writes:
Todd,

I think you are fighting a loosing battle. The semantical problem created
between LD and S@H is as a direct result of poor communication on behalf of LD
and the infrequent posts here on Lugnet. This is furthered by a slow to react
Lego Website. And on top of that S@H correspondence in LD envelopes.

I agree and further, I'd posit that it may not really matter in the large
scheme of things that LD the division has S@H (LSAH) the org in its org chart
but for branding reasons LD the brand is separate from S@H the brand.

Who cares really? I just want to know how to get input about what bulk
elements to sell next into whoever is set up to evaluate it. In the large
scheme of things it's about as important as the distinction between Coke, New
Coke and Coke II. No one really cares except the persnickety. Get the details
right and *make* the lawyers do the right thing but don't let it stop progress.

And to Todd's deeper point that LD the consumer outreach and community
building entity is competition to Lugnet? You bet it is. But not to worry.
Just keep producing features faster than they can and you'll have nothing to
worry about. Make sure they're features we really need and that they're user
friendly, though, not just that they match your vision of how things need to
be... you can be right about that and still wrong anyway.

The same point about competition is true for all the other great things that
have come about lately that are in competition with Lugnet because they
implement all or part of the vision faster or better. The slashdot clone died
off, but Brickshelf, BrickBay, and  BrickSet are all realising all or part of
the Lugnet vision. Competition is good. It means we the fan community get
things faster, one way or another. Compete or die. More importantly, move FAST
or get coopted.

The  world (online and off (1)) we AFOLs live in is way way richer than it was
2 years ago, that's for sure. Ain't it grand?

1 - The clubs, the fests, the brikwars gaming, and stuff I am forgetting about
all are stuff that has come about recently, due in part to online synergy...
awesome.

++Lar