 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 471
470  |  472
Subject:
Lego Direct vs S@H (was Re: Can you a 5' credit card for me?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 12:22:40 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
[...]
A quick estimate shows a 5ft x3ft design would require around 6000 of the
standard 4x2 stud lego bricks.
Lego direct currently sells these at $6.99 a hundred, so you are looking at
$840.

Actually, LEGO Direct doesn't actually sell anything.  LEGO Direct is TLC's
"consumer-facing entity" online and offline.  LEGO Shop At Home is the
business that sells the bricks.

However, Lego Direct is US only at present.  [...]

I think LEGO Direct may actually be more worldwide (at least in the Internet
sense) than it is US-only.  IIRC, LSAH is US + Canada.  LD is a global
business unit based in NYC.

The official info:  http://www.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=463

--Todd

Todd,

I think you are fighting a loosing battle. The semantical problem created
between LD and S@H is as a direct result of poor communication on behalf of LD
and the infrequent posts here on Lugnet. This is furthered by a slow to react
Lego Website. And on top of that S@H correspondence in LD envelopes.

In the end the old saying is correct, "same dirt, different shovel" (yes I
changed it slightly, as to not slander The Lego Group... or is that The Lego
Company :-) In the end the money ends up in the same pot.

The funny thing is that once people get a term in their vocabulary it takes a
lot to correct it if it is used wrong. Already you have done more than the
infamous Brad Justus to correct the problem. His first big mistake was to use
the term Lego Direct in reference to the bulk sales. The only place we should
have seen the term was in his signature where he would indicate that LD was a
division of TLC.

IMHO, it is ironic that LD seems to be largely marketing yet it confuses
consumers on its own purpose. They tripped coming out of the gate, but there is
still a long race ahead.

Jude