 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 7309
Re: Brickmania calls it quits on custom model kits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 07:08:52 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Daniel Siskind writes:
Knowing what I now know about how rare some of the parts are in my kits,
I wouldn't wish that task on anyone. I doubt TLG would be interested in
licensing my designs (especially when they could just steal them outright...
if they could them past the marketing department's price guidlines) and I
doubt anyone else would have the time and money to carry on with my kits.
There's nothing like spending $600 in sets to get the parts needed to build
a kit that sells for less than $200!  I think I'll be happy just to make my
instructions available on a low price CD-ROM and let the fellow enthusiast
do the leg work finding the parts!

That reminds me...  Brad J. mentioned a few months ago that one thing LD is
potentially considering as a website function for LSAH is allowing people to
design and upload MOC's and let other people buy copies of them.  Thus,
indirectly, it may be possible that TLC would sell your designs -- all you'd
need to do is convert them to the right format, whatever that turns out to be
if they end up doing something like this.

--Todd