 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3384
Re: Please read, re: S@H orders to Australia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:17:34 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
This is all very worrying, and does not bode well for S@H in Australia.

Not if the freight, customs & GST increase the prices by 50%.

She was also under the impression that the value of the parcel was $US198.

Interesting. If you believe Custom's own WWW site, even if the price had
been US$198, you should have been granted the "low value" concession as the
GST should have been under $50.

Customs were wanting $50 and $40
for the GST, an extra $90 on top of the already outrageous postage cost

$40 would be about right for GST on US$198, but what's this extra $50 bonus
for customs? Again, there is no mention of it on their WWW site.

Well, I checked out that page you posted the other day
http://news.lugnet.com/loc/au/?n=7223 and is does seem to indicate duty is
payable as it always was 8?(

Also, this page http://www.customs.gov.au/bizlink/imports/general/index.htm
says customs duty is 5% of the customs value (usually declared value). GST is
charged on the duty as well (though they probably wouldn't bother if that's all
the GST that's payable).

it will be cheaper to pay more for the items I want and get them sent  to • my
uncle in Holland who can then forward the parcels on and claim they are a
gift.

There is no exemption for gifts, as far as I know from GST. It's just that
most gifts are sufficiently low in value to not attract the interest of
Customs.

I look forward to hearing the end of the story, when the re-assessment is
done. If they insist you have to pay, then I think it would be worthwhile
forwarding the story to Lego Direct, given that one of their employees
claimed that there would be no more to pay:

"Australian GST is already included in the product price.  You will only be
charged the total displayed on your checkout receipt page.  There are no
additional charges that will incur.
Jarid Lukin
Senior Web Developer
LEGO Direct"

I would also guess that means nothing to customs if the GST value is not
documented on the invoice / receipt. Not having seen a receipt yet, I don't
know whether thats the case or not. But it looks like we're probably gonna be
up for duty anyway.

Any comments from LD? Does the receipt show the GST value?

ROSCO

x-posted to .lego.direct