 Local / Australia / 7344
Re: Please read, re: S@H orders to Australia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 21:28:57 GMT

Well, I checked out that page you posted the other day
http://news.lugnet.com/loc/au/?n=7223 and is does seem to indicate duty is
payable as it always was 8?(

You could well be right.

I was basing my comments on a phone call I made to Customs just prior to the
introduction of the GST. The person with whom I spoke told me that prior to
GST, there would be sales tax payable on imported Lego but it was not a
duty-able item. They said after GST, there would be GST payable but not
still not duty. They also told me that if the taxes etc to be collect was
less than $50, they did not bother.

Having scoured the WWW site, I can't find anything to confirm or deny this
story about duty not being applicable. The WWW says:

"Rates of duty payable by an importer are determined by the classification
of goods within the Australian Customs Tariff. As the Tariff contains more
than five thousand headings and sub-headings it is impossible to list
specific rates here."

Maybe the person I spoke to got it wrong (in which case why bother ringing
them!).

Also, this page • http://www.customs.gov.au/bizlink/imports/general/index.htm
says customs duty is 5% of the customs value (usually declared value). GST • is
charged on the duty as well (though they probably wouldn't bother if • that's all
the GST that's payable).

Also, I have to retract what I previously said about GST and international
postage. It  *is* true that GST is exempt on international postage from
Australia, but when you import stuff, the cost of the
transport/postage/insurance is included in the value of the goods for GST
purposes (and presumably customs duty purposes, as well).

However, Frances was being slugged $50 for Customs duty and $40 for GST.
Even if they were confused about the amounts being US$ instead of AU$, I
still can't work out the $50 slug, if the duty rate is 5%.

Frankly, I'm keeping my money in my pocket until the real cost of using S@H
is known. Keep up the good work with those sales, KMart!

Kerry