 Local / Australia / 7223
Re: S@H is finally here!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 08:12:03 GMT

"Ross Crawford" <rcrawford@csi.com> wrote in message
news:GKnwrr.4G6@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.loc.au, Deidre Rushton Brumby writes:

I'm not sure what the customs duty is worth, I can't actually seem to • find
that info on the customs website.

I seem to recall its 5%. I'll check when I get home.

Everyone, stop talking about Customs duty! It does not apply to Lego.

We *used* to have sales tax on Lego, which was levied (somewhat
unpredictably) by Customs on imported Lego at 28%. This has now been
replaced by GST, which again is levied (and again probably
unpredictably) by Customs on imported Lego at 10%. Read all about it in
the Custom's document "Importing Goods and the New Tax System"

http://www.customs.gov.au/taxref/imports.htm

If you don't want to read the whole thing, the bad news is:

"In general, GST will be charged on imported goods unless the goods are
covered by an exemption. The GST Act states that the importer will pay
GST at the same time and in the same manner as customs duty, and that
the rate of GST applicable on Taxable Importations is 10% of the Value
of the Taxable Importation."

but the good news is:

"Imports that qualify for certain customs duty concessions are not
subject to GST. The customs duty concessions that are also non-taxable
comprise the following items from Schedule 4 to the Customs Tariff Act
1995:"

one of which is:

"Items 32A and 32B - "low value goods" on which the revenue payable is
$50 or less"

This "low value goods" concession reflects the fact that it is generally
not worth their effort for Customs to chase you to pay amounts of less
than $50. Since the GST rate is 10%, it seems reasonable to conclude
that goods valued at $500 or less will get this concession, but goods
over $500 will be taxed at 10% GST.

So, if you want to buy up to $500 of goods, then you will pay just the
Lego delivery fee of $90 (or lower where applicable).

If you buy goods of $510 through to $900, you will pay $90 for delivery
plus $51-$90 in GST. If you had split the goods into two parcels (both
less than $510), you would pay $180 delivery but no GST, so you are
still better off with a single parcel.

If you buy goods worth $900 as a single parcel, you pay $90 delivery
plus $90 GST. As two parcels of about $450 (making sure both are less
than $510), $180 delivery but no GST. No difference.

If you buy goods worth $910 - $1018 as a single parcel, you pay $90
delivery plus $91-$101 GST. As two parcels under $510 (assuming you can
split them so neatly), you would pay $180 delivery but no GST, so you
would be just slightly better off with two parcels.

If you buy goods worth $1020 as a single parcle, you pay $90 delivery
plus $102 GST.
As 2 parcels (both over $510), you pay $180 delivery plus $102 GST. As 3
parcels (both under $510), you pay $270 delivery but no GST. So one
parcel is still best.

For goods over $1020, you are still better off with a single parcel, as
paying $50 for each $500 extra of goods is still less than $90 for an
extra delivery. For those mathematically inclined, the percentage you
pay te

So, in conclusion, apart from the $910-$1018 range, you are better off
with just one parcel. If you are in the $910-$1018, you may save $1-$11
by splitting the order, *if* you can keep both orders less than $510.

In terms of a percentage of the original purchase price, what happens:

Original price -> Price including shipping/GST -> extra % you pay
$100 -> $160 -> 60%
$200 -> $280 -> 40%
$300 -> $390 -> 30%
$400 -> $490 -> 22.5%j
$500 -> $680 -> 18%
$600 -> $750 -> 25%
$700 -> $860 -> 22.8%
$800 -> $970 -> 21.25%
$900 -> $1080 -> 20%
$1000 -> $1190 -> 19%
$2000 -> $2290 -> 14.5%
$3000 -> $3390 -> 13%
$4000 -> $4490 -> 23.25%
$5000 -> $5590 -> 11.8%
$10000 -> $11090 -> 10.9%
$100000 -> $110090 -> 10.09% (dream on!)

Kerry