 Local / Australia / 7337
Re: Please read, re: S@H orders to Australia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 08:11:02 GMT

This is all very worrying, and does not bode well for S@H in Australia.

She was also under the impression that the value of the parcel was $US198.

Interesting. If you believe Custom's own WWW site, even if the price had
been US$198, you should have been granted the "low value" concession as the
GST should have been under $50.

Customs were wanting $50 and $40
for the GST, an extra $90 on top of the already outrageous postage cost

$40 would be about right for GST on US$198, but what's this extra $50 bonus
for customs? Again, there is no mention of it on their WWW site.

it will be cheaper to pay more for the items I want and get them sent  to • my
uncle in Holland who can then forward the parcels on and claim they are a
gift.

There is no exemption for gifts, as far as I know from GST. It's just that
most gifts are sufficiently low in value to not attract the interest of
Customs.

I look forward to hearing the end of the story, when the re-assessment is
done. If they insist you have to pay, then I think it would be worthwhile
forwarding the story to Lego Direct, given that one of their employees
claimed that there would be no more to pay:

"Australian GST is already included in the product price.  You will only be
charged the total displayed on your checkout receipt page.  There are no
additional charges that will incur.
Jarid Lukin
Senior Web Developer
LEGO Direct"