 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3051
Re: We want to know what you think!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 20:08:34 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes:

www.LEGO.com/youropinion

Wow, sounds like quite a few of you are giving us your feedback! That's
terrific!

There have been a couple of questions that have popped up about how the
survey works, and some issues with the survey itself. Let me try to address
them as best I can:

*** Submission of only 2 ideas per question ***

We are changing this to the upper limit of 5 ideas/answers per question. We
can't offer unlimited because it would throw of the methodology for how the
survey works. Imagine if one person submitted 1000 answers and everyone else
only submitted 1 idea...it would give unfair weight to that one persons ideas.

*** Why do we only see 10 ideas at a time, rather than all ideas? ***

Below, I have copied some of the text from the Help/FAQs in the survey
itself. Basically, the way the survey tells us what ideas are truly the most
popular is by "random" sampling of all the pool of ideas. The ideas shown to
you are both randomly and logically selected to make sure that all ideas get
their fair share of face time.

Plus, imagine having to sort through thousands of answers and having to read
and agree/disagree with every one! That would take forever and the number of
people answering the survey would drop to almost none.

*** No option for "No Children" ***

Good catch! It is there now!

*** No option for "Other" purpose for visiting site ***

Another good idea. This will be up soon.

Hope this helps. For more info, check out the Help section copy/FAQs below.
This should help with any other questions. If I missed anything, let me know!

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Sr. Producer
LEGO Direct

=====================
= HELP SECTION COPY =
=====================

* Is this just another survey?

No. This site is a new way for you to be heard. Unlike surveys, this site
lets you say what you think in your own words, and organizes this
information in a way that we can act upon quickly and efficiently. While we
ask some standard questions to help us understand you better, the real
benefit of our site is its ability to listen to you - in your own words.

* Why can't I just send an email to someone?

If you don't put your opinions in our site, others don't get the opportunity
to agree with you. Our site allows your opinion to gain consensus and
visibility in a way that an e-mail to tech support will not do. Your
opinions won't get that same high visibility if you email them to our
technical support.

* Why are some questions required?

Required questions ensure that important data is captured allowing us to
understand more about the participant taking the survey. In many cases we
are trying to capture feedback from a particular demographic, and the
required field makes this process easier.

* Where does the selection list come from?

These opinions come from participants who have already gone through our
site. Their opinions are made available on a statistical sampling basis to
other participants to evaluate in selection lists like the one you're viewing.

* You misspelled something on the page or have other grammatical errors

Unfortunately, other participants entered an opinion with typos and/or
spelling errors.

* Do I have to add an opinion?

You only need to add a new opinion if you do not see it in the selection
list. If you see your opinions on the selection list already, then just put
a check by them. We encourage you to agree with opinions before adding your
own opinion since that builds consensus.

* What happens to a new opinion that I add in the text box?

When you click the ADD button, your opinion is automatically added to the
selection list and checked for you. You can then check any other opinions
you agree with. If you change your mind, you can uncheck opinions or even
delete the opinion you just added. When you're finished, submit the entire
selection by clicking on the NEXT button.

* What happened to the other opinions on the list?

This list only includes the opinions you added and/or selected in the

* Why should I rank my opinions?

By prioritizing your opinions, you help us better understand the importance
of each of the items on your list.

* How often are these results updated?

They are very real. The scores you see in the Results Page are re-calculated
each time someone participates in our session. Each time someone presses
"Next" after selecting the opinions they want to submit, our system updates
all the scores.

* Why aren't any of my opinions shown?

Our site is constantly sampling opinions to give participants a chance to
vote on increasingly popular opinions as well as brand new opinions. The
opinions you submitted may be new and not yet shown to many others, or may
have been have been shown to others but not very popular.

* What happens to these results?

We use these results to help us better understand your needs and improve our
offering to you.