 LEGO Company / 2324
Re: According to TLC...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:11:46 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Christian Treczoks wrote:
So we have less sales at lower prices on one side of the pond and more
sales at higher prices on the other.

I think one issue is that most Americans are cheapos. How much we've been
trained to spend on toys for our kids is (I'd guess) different than in Europe. I
dunno how far reaching clone bricks are, but here in the US, there's a lot of
competition with MegaBloks who charge ... uh... I dunno, maybe 1/2 or 3/4? of
what the comparable Lego set would be. So most parents take one look at the
price tag and buy the cheaper thing. Heck, even most AFOL's seem to wait for 25%
off or better deals before we'll buy something.

But something else I don't see in your numbers is cost. Europe may produce 60%
of revenue versus the US with 30%, but how much cost goes into supplying Europe,
being that it's made up of lots of different countries, each with their own
currency, language, etc. US is fairly easy by comparison. If Europe produces
60%, but costs 60%, and the US produces 30% and costs 30%, then it's perfectly
balanced with the existing prices.

DaveE