 LEGO Company / 2318
Re: LEGO Brick Masters Launches!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:19:29 GMT

Jake McKee wrote:
I'm not sure if you're just venting about your "higher" prices, and I'm not sure
that I'll ever be able to convince you that European prices don't "subsidize"
"lower" North American prices. Rest assured, however, that that's not the case.
Yes, partially I _am_ venting about high prices. But even more on the
reasons behind them.

OK, lets get some facts straight.
1. Almost any LEGO set/Product is typically 20-50% more expensive here
in Europe than it is in the US, even after subtracting VAT.
2. As far as one can derive it from the available information sources,
spending for misc. purposes (TV Advertising, Brick Masters, Event Kits)
is propably way higher in the US than it is in Europe.

Point one can easily be checked by anyone who can read a catalog and do
some basic math. Point two may be disputed due to the fact that no
precise numbers are available to the public, although is quite
staggering how many projects are US-only, and advertising is relatively
expensive in the US.

So, tell me, what is "Reaping More Money at One End and Spending More
Money on the Other End" other than subsidizing? Or, to return to your
point of view, if the European prices are not "higher" and the US prices
are not "lower", why do they still differ? And don't come with the VAT
argument. We don't have a VAT of 87%...

Yours, Christian Treczoks