 Instructions / 378
Re: Future Plans list
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 15:15:38 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Jake McKee writes:
In lugnet.inst, Benjamin Ellermann writes:

<snip>

The new categories look great but thumbnails would improve the look of the
site.  I will not always check a new set of instructions if it does not have
a thumbnail.

Yeah, I hear ya. The problem is just that it is a big task for me to deal
with uploaded files and their moderation. The fact that Brickshelf is
already handling that end of it makes it seem a little pointless for me.

One thing I would like to see (and have spoken with Sean Kevin about it) is
to have LPub able to spit out files necessary for Web instructions,
including the thumbnail image. You can imagine a .zip file that can be
easily uploaded to Brickshelf.

I don't know who this Sean Kevin person is... :^)  It will be simple to add the
thumbnail mechanism to LPub.  I've already got the capabilities with web page
tables.  Are we talking one picture per web-page?  With the addition of the
layout stuff in 2.2, you actually end up with one image (that contains step
number, PLI, construction images and callouts.)  Right now it is best if you do
all your rendering and layout in bitmaps (soon to be PNG also).  I can see
changing the "screen web page" mechanism converting the resulting bitmap to
jpeg, and making jpeg thumbs.  Given the way layout works, I'd like to get rid
of JPEG as a "working format" and only allow it as a final post production.

Because JPEG is lossy, and layout involves making composite pictures out of a
bunch of little pictures, thinks look obviously pasted together.

I'll want to make sure that scale is kept consistant across all thumbs,
something the thumb mechanism for web page tables do not do.  It just involves
knowing the size of the largest step image, and scaling everything accordingly,
and padding out the smaller pictures with the background color.

Kevin