 Instructions / 370
Re: Future Plans list
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2003 18:48:34 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Benjamin Ellermann writes:

I think that your list is complete.  I do think that thumbnails are very
important for the website.  I'm not sure if you have read my response to
your previous BIP posting: http://news.lugnet.com/inst/?n=358

Hey there, I did read your post, but was/am still thinking about it.

The new categories look great but thumbnails would improve the look of the
site.  I will not always check a new set of instructions if it does not have
a thumbnail.

Yeah, I hear ya. The problem is just that it is a big task for me to deal
with uploaded files and their moderation. The fact that Brickshelf is
already handling that end of it makes it seem a little pointless for me.

One thing I would like to see (and have spoken with Sean Kevin about it) is
to have LPub able to spit out files necessary for Web instructions,
including the thumbnail image. You can imagine a .zip file that can be
easily uploaded to Brickshelf.

I would also love to see a functionality within MOCpages that allows you,
when adding a new creation to specify that the creation is not a MOC, but
instructions for a MOC, and point at the BS link with the images uploaded
from the LPub .zip.

This would help on a number of fronts:

- Increased (yet again) ease in creating all the necessary BI materials
- Improved viewing ability (ever try to follow a BI on Brickshelf by using
only the next and previous?)
- Easier to get a thumbnail created and uploaded

I would be willing to make these for other castle submissions and submit
them to you or host them on brickshelf.  (Actually, I already did this and
emailed the castle people but they did not respond. See the thumbnails here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=38796 )

That's great of you to do. One problem you may have run into is the valid
email issue. In the registration process, users are asked for a valid email
address. However, I wasn't verifying that email address. So we ended up with
a number of users who have bad email addresses.

I am working on resolving this now. All new users will receive an activation
code in an email after registering. Before they can login, they have to
activate their account.

I am working on a method of verifying existing users now, and should have
that ready in the next few days.

But thanks so much for your enthusiasm and submissions. Great work!

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Webmaster - B.I. Portal