 Instructions / *26 (-20)
  Re: Follow-up: What *IS* a building instruction anyway?

(...) Your assumptions of the audience and what is a BI are different than mine. As I stated before, I want to make sure that the user of my BIs duplicated MY MODEL 100% the same way I did mine. Otherwise, s/he is NOT building MY MODEL but a (...) (22 years ago, 2-Aug-02, to lugnet.inst)

  BI Portal passes 100 mark!

As of today, the BI Portal passed the 100 instruction link mark! There are now more than 100 wonderful building instructions added to this resources. Check it out today at: (URL) sure to check out all the categories (or select "Display All Links" (...) (22 years ago, 2-Aug-02, to lugnet.inst) !

  Re: Build-a-Bot

I can't wait to hear it! In fact, what I REALLY want to do is to play it :) Short of that, it'll be interesting to see what sort of setup he's got in the piano. The tensile forces of the strings are fairly extreme and to stabilize it with legos must (...) (22 years ago, 1-Aug-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Build-a-Bot

Jake, that would make me so happy, for the one who hosts links to many building instructions, I would be honored to see you Build-a-Bot. Building a Little Bot is much more than just making one, holding it in your hands, feeling the weight of the (...) (22 years ago, 1-Aug-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Build-a-Bot

Yes, I agree, I should have listened to Chris Smith when he was encouraging me to learn how. Plus, I know Tobbe said he already did the head, but I'm not sure when he'll finish. If anyone wants to make LDRAW / MLCAD etc... Please be my guest! I (...) (22 years ago, 1-Aug-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Build-a-Bot

Thanks! That's sounds like an interesting program. Cool deal. Hey Luke, what do you think of the REAL Piano Henry Lim is building! Plus, when he's done, we're gonna be able to hear a real musical score played on a real Lego Musical Instrument! I'll (...) (22 years ago, 1-Aug-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Idea-Instructions

(...) Shiri, that's a great idea, and something I certainly encourage for the BI Portal. (...) Or depending on your outlook, that process can be part of the fun. (...) Peronally, I seem to have a hard time working only in CAD. I actually use a (...) (22 years ago, 1-Aug-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Follow-up: What *IS* a building instruction anyway?

(...) I agree that they *should* be precise and clear. But even if they aren't, that means that they are less than perfect, not non-BIs. (...) Wow... that's a high bar to set. Consider that most enthusiasts create BIs for fun or *minor* profit. TLC (...) (22 years ago, 1-Aug-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Build-a-Bot

(...) At first glance, the instructions look great! I think it was very smart to take the photos on the gray baseplate to better help with placement. Good work! Jake --- LEGO Enthusiast Webmaster - BI Portal (22 years ago, 1-Aug-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Build-a-Bot

It would be nice though to make it in LDraw. Jaco "Nicole Drumm" <kdrumm1@stny.rr.com> wrote in message news:H038CE.Ez5@lugnet.com... (...) then (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jul-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Follow-up: What *IS* a building instruction anyway?

(...) It's a nice goal to have in mind, but I think having it as a minimum standard would kill any significant repository of instructions by lack of volume. Simply put, most people won't go to the significant effort of producing professional quality (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jul-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Follow-up: What *IS* a building instruction anyway?

(...) On the contrary, my goal is generally to communicate an idea to others. If I was to produce a custom set for sale, *then* my goal would be to create instructions similar in quality to TLC. But thats a very small part of what instructions are (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jul-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Build-a-Bot

"Nicole Drumm" <kdrumm1@stny.rr.com> wrote in message news:H038CE.Ez5@lugnet.com... (...) then (...) Amen to that :) But seriously, for a book or something, a more formal approach might be needed (I'm working with something called LPub by Kevin (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jul-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Follow-up: What *IS* a building instruction anyway?

Yet another 10c from me ... A lot of the time I don't think we really need detailed building instructions. For many models, a few good photos from all angles of the finished product and a few detailed photos of "tricky bits" and "significant (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jul-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Follow-up: What *IS* a building instruction anyway?

(...) Well, I'd say almost the opposite. Firstly, the instructions Lego produce are (for most AFOLs) needlessly laborious in their detail. Megablocks and Shifty/Brick both produce far more compact instructions that do more at each step and they are (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jul-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Build-a-Bot

Heh heh! LoL! Thanks.... e (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jul-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Follow-up: What *IS* a building instruction anyway?

(...) I disagree. Building Instructions (BIs) should be precise and clear steps either in text or images that allow another individual to dulplicate (make an identical) the original model. In the ideal world, the BIs should *AT THE MIN* be of the (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jul-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Idea-Instructions

(...) One of the difficulties of what you are aking for it that many builders build with the real brick and by the time the model is done it its very hard to go back and document via LDraw or take pictures of what the model looks like in the inside. (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jul-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Build-a-Bot

Let me say this: if you can't build a similar bot with these instructions, then you shouldn't be building with Lego. -- Thanx~ Nicole (URL) Sophie" <mylegomaster@cs.com> wrote in message news:H035r8.81E@lugnet.com... (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jul-02, to lugnet.inst)

  Re: Follow-up: What *IS* a building instruction anyway?

Seems simple and straightforward enough definition to me. -- Thanx~ Nicole (URL) (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jul-02, to lugnet.inst)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact