 Instructions / 10
Re: Follow-up: What *IS* a building instruction anyway?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 01:54:10 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Nicole Drumm writes:
Seems simple and straightforward enough definition to me.
--
Thanx~
Nicole

<snippered!>
any
means that allows one person to share an idea, concept, model, or design
with another person."

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/faqs/index.cfm

But what do *you* think? What *IS* a building instruction anyway?

I disagree.  Building Instructions (BIs) should be precise and clear steps
either in text or images that allow another individual to dulplicate (make
an identical) the original model.

In the ideal world, the BIs should *AT THE MIN* be of the same quality as
those made by TLC. Quality in terms of image quality, easy of use, easy of
transportablity, and universal.

Quality of Image:  MLCAD based images ARE IMOP sub-quality images.  A 3D
COLOR rendered image is what you should make, one that clearly defines each
piece(like what MegaPov can do)

Easy of use:  Creating a set of images and posting them on brickshelf *IS
NOT EASY TO USE*.  Images should be complied in a logical numerical order
and clreay numbered.  Using a powerpoint or pdf file works best for
electrionic versions.  Powerpoint slides works best for colored printed version.

easy to transport:  a printed book is the best way to share instructions but
this is costly and not very easy to distribute.  The next best solution is a
*LOCKED* e-version.  This is hard to do but a again a powerpoint of pdf file
works best.

universal:  Only numbers and images should be used.  What if your reader
doesn't understand english?  S/he know numbers and images only and that is
what you should ONLY have in BIs.

The goal is to make BIs as GOOD IF NOT BETTER than what TCL makes.  BIs is
an art and should not be seen as a 2nd hand process.  Remember you build a
one-of-a-kind model it DESERVES a nice professional representation of it
before the world sees how to build it.

-AHui

http://www.ozbricks.com/jediagh/

Click download --> Building Instructions for what I am talking about.