 Instructions / 9
Re: Idea-Instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 01:41:38 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Shiri Dori writes:
Hi guys,

It's good to see a group created for the discussion of instructions. As a
result of Jake McKee creating the instruction repository site, the awareness
to this topic is quickly rising and I think that is a Very Good Thing (TM).

At Brickfest 2002 Jake led a roundtable discussion, which focused on the
potential problems that creators of instructions and their users might run
into. Jake, I know you wrote the details down - can you possibly post the
things that were said?

One thing struck me as we were discussing possibilities of instructions. As
opposed to only complete model-instructions, I would like to see a
repository of idea-instructions. We are already seeing many idea-folders
popping up in brickshelf, where people store their small but useful and
original ideas. A collection of, for example, methods of building modular
creations; of furniture ideas; of space greeblies; of castle wall
decorations... and just random ideas that anyone with a builder's block can
browse through for inspiration.

Is that feasible? Is anyone interested in such a collection, in addition to
a collection of model-instructions?

-Shiri

One of the difficulties of what you are aking for it that many builders
build with the real brick and by the time the model is done it its very hard
to go back and document via LDraw or take pictures of what the model looks
like in the inside.  It then becomes a tediuos process of having to take the
model appart to photo a specific building method or having to use LDraw to
document the model.  Many people find attempting to LDraw their model after
creating it time consuming or fustrating.

Approaching from the LDraw side only, like I do it a bit easier.  I enjoy
building virtual models MORE than playing with the actual brick.  So for me
it's a bit easier to show how the inside of my model looks but at the same
time I have to spend tiwce as long trying to build a new model with virtual
bricks becuase it's so much harder to visiallize the model and much harder
to build something that has never been build before.  The virtual tools are
still too primaritize.

So unless the modeler has a 2nd person photographing the process as s/he
builds or the modeler stopping to document most of the 'how was it build'
gets losts.  The best way to obtain these skills is for individuals to
borrow ideas from other models and incorporate them into ones one.

-AHui