 Instructions / 19
Re: Follow-up: What *IS* a building instruction anyway?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:26:43 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Ahui Herrera writes:

any
means that allows one person to share an idea, concept, model, or design
with another person."

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/faqs/index.cfm

But what do *you* think? What *IS* a building instruction anyway?

I disagree.  Building Instructions (BIs) should be precise and clear steps
either in text or images that allow another individual to dulplicate (make
an identical) the original model.

I agree that they *should* be precise and clear. But even if they aren't,
that means that they are less than perfect, not non-BIs.

In the ideal world, the BIs should *AT THE MIN* be of the same quality as
those made by TLC. Quality in terms of image quality, easy of use, easy of
transportablity, and universal.

Wow... that's a high bar to set. Consider that most enthusiasts create BIs
for fun or *minor* profit. TLC has been at the BI  game for decades, and
trying to say that if a fan created BI doesn't meet or exceed that quality
may be overreaching a tad.

Quality of Image:  MLCAD based images ARE IMOP sub-quality images.  A 3D
COLOR rendered image is what you should make, one that clearly defines each
piece(like what MegaPov can do)

I agree that non-rendered LDraw based images are sub-optimal; mainly because
parts blend together.

I still think that photos, sketches, textual descriptions are valid if they
get the point across.

Easy of use:  Creating a set of images and posting them on brickshelf *IS
NOT EASY TO USE*.  Images should be complied in a logical numerical order
and clreay numbered.  Using a powerpoint or pdf file works best for
electrionic versions.  Powerpoint slides works best for colored printed version.

To each his own. I know some people who hate PDFs or PPTs.

easy to transport:  a printed book is the best way to share instructions but
this is costly and not very easy to distribute.  The next best solution is a
*LOCKED* e-version.  This is hard to do but a again a powerpoint of pdf file
works best.

Depends on the goal I think. If you are wanting to share your idea, but not
risk someone taking the file and calling it their own, then locking is
appropriate. Others may simply want to offer up a design and actually
encourage someone to modify it.

universal:  Only numbers and images should be used.  What if your reader
doesn't understand english?  S/he know numbers and images only and that is
what you should ONLY have in BIs.

Very good point.

There are always exceptions, of course, but best case scenario would be this.

The goal is to make BIs as GOOD IF NOT BETTER than what TCL makes.  BIs is
an art and should not be seen as a 2nd hand process.  Remember you build a
one-of-a-kind model it DESERVES a nice professional representation of it
before the world sees how to build it.

From somewhat enamored with BIs, I agree that it is an art and shouldn't be
considered "low priority"!

Good thoughts!