 General / 9707
Re: My Lego Obsession & Philosophy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 02:24:16 GMT

Hmmm.... I've been reading this thread, and suddenly I'm having flashbacks of a
time, I would have been in my late teens, where I too would sneak around the toy
section, hoping no one would see me there.  I would let my own self doubt
interfere with something I enjoyed.  Those days are over, and apparently
forgotten until now.

Strangely, over the past 1.5 years, as I have come out of my dark ages and
acquired new Lego with a vengeance, I don't recall any of the incidents folks
have described here.  I have had no one openly comment, to my face anyway, that
I was "too old", etc.  My wife, though she is not interested in Lego and
probably was a bit annoyed with the amount I was purchasing last summer and
fall, has overall been very supportive.  She has even commented that she enjoys
seeing me build stuff.  In fact, she's been bugging me to make a kitchen floor
cleaning robot with my Mindstorms kit.  :-)

The only incident I can remotely remember is what might have been a strange look
and snooty attitude from the cashier person at the local KB Toy Works.  I don't
think I really thought about it at the time, though.

Maybe I just live in a area where people are more open minded. (Atlanta, GA?  I
don't think so!)  Maybe I have just been lucky.  Maybe I just care so little
that I haven't even noticed it happening.  Either way, I think it's sad that
others can't just leave us alone and let us enjoy doing what we enjoy doing.

Crisp out.

James Simpson wrote:

In lugnet.general, Ian Sinclair writes:

When you come across people who sneer their nose, or can't believe you
still play with LEGO, just do what I do..

Just brush aside their comments without another thought, with the
knowledge that your life is more enriched because you play with LEGO.

Better to play into old age, than to grow old and never play.

<ICS>

I find that as an adult Lego enthusiast I have much more joy and freedom in
this
hobby than I did as an adolescent.  Perhaps it is because I am now at ease with
myself.  I know who I am and what I enjoy, and I am far far less concerned
about
what others think of me.  There was a time (and not so long ago) that I would
sneak about the toy department, hoping that noone would see me looking at the
Legos (or any toys for that matter.)  And with dread would I approach the
counter to pay, loathing the inquisitive looks of the clerk and the relentless
stares of the customers behind me.  Now, I simply do not care what they think.
Why should I be ashamed?  I almost enjoy proudly approaching the counter. I get
a kick out of the reactions of the cashiers (especially from that particular
species of cashier whose birth-right and moral perogative it is to comment - a
bit too loudly - on the customers' purchases.)  I really credit Lugnet for my
new-found confidence and dignity as an AFOL.  Growing up, absolutely none of my
friends cared much for Legos.  Sure, a few of them had some, but they never
seemed to care much for them.  I have never had a personal face-to-face
friendship with another Lego builder.  Frankly, I've never personally known
another one.  So, I was always a closet builder, a closet collector.  It is
liberating to know that other adults share my fierce love for Legos.

--

G. Crisp - gcrisp@mindspring.com