 General / 9699
Re: My Lego Obsession & Philosophy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 21:45:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ian Sinclair writes:

When you come across people who sneer their nose, or can't believe you
still play with LEGO, just do what I do..

Just brush aside their comments without another thought, with the
knowledge that your life is more enriched because you play with LEGO.

Better to play into old age, than to grow old and never play.

<ICS>

I find that as an adult Lego enthusiast I have much more joy and freedom in
this
hobby than I did as an adolescent.  Perhaps it is because I am now at ease with
myself.  I know who I am and what I enjoy, and I am far far less concerned
about
what others think of me.  There was a time (and not so long ago) that I would
sneak about the toy department, hoping that noone would see me looking at the
Legos (or any toys for that matter.)  And with dread would I approach the
counter to pay, loathing the inquisitive looks of the clerk and the relentless
stares of the customers behind me.  Now, I simply do not care what they think.
Why should I be ashamed?  I almost enjoy proudly approaching the counter. I get
a kick out of the reactions of the cashiers (especially from that particular
species of cashier whose birth-right and moral perogative it is to comment - a
bit too loudly - on the customers' purchases.)  I really credit Lugnet for my
new-found confidence and dignity as an AFOL.  Growing up, absolutely none of my
friends cared much for Legos.  Sure, a few of them had some, but they never
seemed to care much for them.  I have never had a personal face-to-face
friendship with another Lego builder.  Frankly, I've never personally known
another one.  So, I was always a closet builder, a closet collector.  It is
liberating to know that other adults share my fierce love for Legos.