 General / 9478
Re: My Lego Obsession & Philosophy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 21:15:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.general, Richard Dee writes:
On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:46:09 GMT, Ian Sinclair uttered the following
profundities...
When you come across people who sneer their nose, or can't believe you
still play with LEGO, just do what I do..

Just brush aside their comments without another thought, with the
knowledge that your life is more enriched because you play with LEGO.

Better to play into old age, than to grow old and never play.

I usually get responses along the lines of "aren't you sad,
playing with toys."

I respond "who's more sad, me, playing with toys, harming
no one, or you, with your prejudice & narrow, blinkard
views?"

when I get negative remarks about my Lego obsession, I often respond with a
varient of one of the following, depending on whether the person I'm talking
to seems human or not.

<friendly>

"It's cheaper and safer than smoking/drinking/doing drugs"
"Are you kidding?  It's a blast!"
"Yup!  I build snow forts in the winter, too!"
"Tell you what.  You give me examples of serious hobbies, and I'll match you 1
for 1 with silly hobbies.  We'll see who runs out of examples first."

<heavy sarcasm>
"Gosh, you're right!  I'll just run out and buy season tickets to the local
sports team!"
"Would you rather I got a real hobby like stamp collecting or Bonsai
sculpting?"

i use this one... a lot. :-)
"Oh ok.  I'll just go back to watching TV for 6 hours a day like you."

and i'll start using this one... often!
"Oh.  Reckon I should just git mahself a gun and go huntin like a good
redneck, then?"

actually most people seem rather charmed when they encounter my lego passion.
although, being an artist, i'm expected to have eccentricities. the only people
in my life who seem put out by lego are the ones i've known the longest, for
some odd reason. there's a lot of eye rolling, and mutterings about how
ex$pensive lego is, or how much space and time lego takes up. can't they see?
lego _is_ space and time!

lego philosophy? is phi-lego-sophy a word? or phil-eg-osophy? no, no.it's
better the first way.

later ~ craig