 General / 9437
9436  |  9438
Subject:
The Greatest Adventure Movies List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 15:58:29 GMT

Here it is fellow Adventurers:

Top Adventure Movies
-criteria- Classic adventure movies set roughly in the 1900 to 1945 era, but
not absolutely so.  We are thinking LEGO set compatibility here.
1. The Man Who Would Be King
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
3. Lawrence of Arabia
4. The African Queen
5. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
6. King of the Khyber Rifles
7. The Mummy
8. The Phantom
9. The Rocketeer
10. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
11. Jorney to the Center of the Earth
12. The Deceivers
13. Zulu
14. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
15. The Mask of Zorro
16. The Tarzan movies (esp. the first four)
17. The Jungle Jim movies
18. The Shadow
19. Mystery Island
20. The Young Indiana Jones series

Adventure movies that fit into another motif, sometimes coinciding more with
the LEGO Pirate or Time Twisters themes and sometimes too modern or mythic
Cutthroat Island
Time Bandits
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Goonies
Romancing the Stone
Purple Rose of Cairo
Joe vs. the Volcano
Cabin Boy
The Sinbad movies
Clash of the Titans
King Kong (1933)
The Lost World (1925)
The Valley of Gwangi
The Land That Time Forgot
The Sea Hawk
Captain Blood
Mutiny on the Bounty
The Black Swan
Captain from Castille
El Cid
The Princess Bride
Island of Dr. Moreau (1977)

One film of note that is absolutely spectacular and a great period piece that
I highly recommend is 1900, starring DeNiro and Depardeau.  Thanks Craig, for
recommending it.

The worst three movies for the category with #1 being worst are:
3. King Solomon's Mines
2. The Lost City of Gold
1. Sphynx

Well there it is.  Rip me apart, heartily agree, do what you will but be sure
to post up and let us know what you think.  I would love to debate these
choices and rerank them in a few weeks maybe.  If you have others for
consideration in either the main list or the peripheral list by all means let
me know.  If you have other super sorry movies to list let me hear about those
as well.  I will also be posting an ammended list with my thoughts as soon as
I deem fit, depending on where the debate takes us.

Cheers,
Mark L