 General / 8996
Re: NELUG at Mindfest, A quick summary and more photo's.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 05:52:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Phillips writes:
In lugnet.general, Ryan Dennett writes:
Is LEGO always one of the main things??

The theme of MindFest was "A Gathering of Playful Inventors", with a definite
emphasis on teaching methods that use experimentation and tinkering to
exercise creativity in children of all ages.  The emphasis on LEGO seemed to
be almost accidental, except for the fact that LEGO is perhaps the single best
medium for the kind of "playful invention" that they were hoping to highlight.

I certainly hope that MindFest will become an annual event.  It was a
definitely unique experience on so many levels -- a sentiment that I heard
from a large number of attendees.  It would be a real shame if there wasn't a
MindFest II next year.  Hopefully the resourceful folks at MIT will find a way
to solve the small problems that did present themselves so that this awesome
event can become a "regular" occurrence.

I know if there is a Mindfest II, I WILL be there.  I'll skip class, spend
savings $$, do whatever to be there - cuz I'll be out of the house and at
college somewhere :)  I really wanted to be there this year but the ol parents
put a kabosh on it :(  As Ryan mentioned, there were quite a few Lugnetters I
really wanted to meet too who were there.  Well, *hopefully* I'll be in Boston
in January...but as a TLG rep told me, good luck getting an internship at the
model shop, they made a lot of changes recently... *sigh*

-Tim