 General / 8974
Re: NELUG at Mindfest, A quick summary and more photo's.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 22:55:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ryan Dennett writes:
...snip...
In case some of you couldn't tell, I wish I coulda been there.
Is the Mindfest an annual thing??

I am certainly not the best person to answer this question, but I did get the
impression that the folks at the Media Lab were somewhat overwhelmed by the
effort that went into organizing this amazing event.  The turnout was
apparently a little better than anticipated, and there were a few small snags
as a result, but it seemed to me that the organizers were much more aware of
the snags than any of the attendees.

And of course, the entire lab was ripped apart and rebuilt from the ground up,
not once, but twice between Friday and Sunday.  This on top of the unfortunate
scheduling which placed MindFest at the end of what was already no doubt a
gruelling week for everyone there.  There was also a sense that the event
would have lacked a certain crucial intimacy had it been much larger, not to
mention the fact that nobody would have been able to get in the door!

The short answer is that they seemed to be hinting that this might be a one-
time endeavor for the Media Lab, but they seemed to be hoping that the event
could be duplicated and continued at other locations and with greater
frequency.

Is LEGO always one of the main things??

The theme of MindFest was "A Gathering of Playful Inventors", with a definite
emphasis on teaching methods that use experimentation and tinkering to
exercise creativity in children of all ages.  The emphasis on LEGO seemed to
be almost accidental, except for the fact that LEGO is perhaps the single best
medium for the kind of "playful invention" that they were hoping to highlight.

I certainly hope that MindFest will become an annual event.  It was a
definitely unique experience on so many levels -- a sentiment that I heard
from a large number of attendees.  It would be a real shame if there wasn't a
MindFest II next year.  Hopefully the resourceful folks at MIT will find a way
to solve the small problems that did present themselves so that this awesome
event can become a "regular" occurrence.

Just my two cents...  You can keep the change.