 General / 8235
Re: Lugnet Newsgroups Anniversary!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 01:40:35 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...

This being the eve of the anniversary, I'd be interested in hearing
people's thoughts on how things have turned out so far, and whether things
have lived up to or failed to meet people's expectations -- particularly
with respect to the hopes expressed in the announcement (attached below).

===

We hope you'll find it a warm and pleasant place to get more acquainted • with
LEGO fans in your area, as well as a fun new place to hang out and share
thoughts and experiences.

I'd say that Lugnet has been a smashing success. There have been a few bumps
since I started participating this spring, but all in all it's a significant
resource.

The only hope in the announcement above which I feel Lugnet may not be
reaching all the potential is hooking locals up. I feel there must be more
than the handful of AFOLs in Raleigh/Durham NC than I am aware of, and it
seems like not much at all is happening in Charlotte. I just was in a local
used toy store yesterday (where I made a couple nice FOTWs, an 80% complete
Black Seas Barracuda for $50 and a complete Deep Freeze Defender for $18),
and while asking the proprietor about the sets which were displayed without
prices (both of the sets mentioned were built and on display on the top
shelf without prices), she mentioned that more would be coming in (a local
kid is liquidating several toyboxes of LEGO, and he is building them up
before bringing them in), she also mentioned that she had a box of Pirate
and Castle out back that she hadn't divided into sets yet. At the same time,
she sussed that I might be buying for myself and offered to meet me on
Monday to work out a deal for the box as a single lot. The quickness that
she sussed that I was an AFOL, suggests that she has dealt with others (of
course it could just be the folks I've already met).

I feel that Lugnet is engendering a real community, possibly the best online
community I have participated in (and I have participated in several). I've
met a bunch of good folks, and learned a lot. I like that Lugnet has offered
space for discussion other than strict discussion about LEGO products. One
thing I really like is the promotion of use of our real names. I figured out
back in college that the most real and honest community came from people who
didn't try and hide behind pseudonyms.

Keep it up Todd!

Frank Filz