 General / 6430
Re: Lugnet Newsgroups Anniversary!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 00:21:17 GMT

<snip>
5.  When the beta test went live in late September, there were still only
   about a couple dozen or so volunteers.  So even though it was "live and
   running," it wasn't "open arms to all" yet.  You can see some of the
   initial excitement here:

      http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=1,20

   (Obviously, this was before .announce required followups to other
   groups.  It wasn't meant as a discussion group.)

   The groups became "open arms to all" in a message posted to
   rec.toys.lego on October 4 (which I don't have a handy way to link to)
   but here is something posted very shortly after:

      http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=29

   and it has the datestamp of:

      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 23:58:47 GMT

   so you might consider that the official "birth" of the newsserver,
   because up until then, it was still officially in beta testing until
   the kinks could be ironed out.

Does that make me the last beta tester? My first post was
http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?n=28

Are you going to do anything special?

I plan to drink myself silly from September 28 to October 4.  ;-)

Cool! I'll bring the über-garlic spamcake paté and a case of Stoli ;-)

-Tom McD.
when replying, spamcake is cheaper to grow than soy, so look out!