 General / 8075
Re: LEGO Stereogram (see it in 3D!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 22:33:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Busse writes:
In lugnet.general, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.general, Thomas Main writes:
Does your camera have a special feature that enables you to take stereo pics
or is it a technique anyone can try?  If so, how did you set up the shot?

I think anyone can do it by simply moving the camera a couple inches to the
right or left... how far you move it affects how far away the objects
pictured appear.

I'm just using a "regular" digital camera -- a Ricoh RDC-300 w/ a 4mm fixed
focus lens.  The nice thing about the digital camera is that it doesn't cost
you anything to mess up your shots.

I placed the subject 12-14 inches away and placed the camera on the table at
the same level as the subject.  I took the left picture and then moved the
camera 1 inch to the right and took the right picture.  I purposely left the
flash off.  I read somewhere that having the flash on while doing this would
cast weird shadows because then the light source would be different in each
photo. Then I opened the pics in PhotoShop, cropped, reduced, and pasted them
next to each other.

My father has a tripod adapter that he built that uses a simple parallelogram
to create a camera mounting platform that can simply be "flopped" from the
left to right position.  As I recall, the resulting offset was about an inch-
and-a-half.  The nice thing about the adapter is that it takes all the
guesswork (and human error) out of this process.  It also reduces the time
that passes between the two photos, which can make a big difference when the
subject matter might move if you wait too long.  (This is not usually a
problem with Lego models!)

I think maybe I'll try to build one of these out of Lego.  It probably
wouldn't be that hard to do except for the lack of a standard tripod thread
Lego nut/bolt pair.

Aside from having the flash turned off, you probably also want to switch your
camera over to manual exposure if you can.  That way, the colors in the two
images will match better than if the camera uses a different exposure for each
shot.  (This is less critical than the flash thing when it comes to
stereograms, since your brain can average the colors out more easily than it
can ignore the conflicting shadow cues.)