 General / 8035
Re: LEGO Stereogram (see it in 3D!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 04:45:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Busse writes:
I was messing around with my digital camera this evening and produced a
somewhat sucessful sterogram (I think that's what it's called).  It's a 3D
image of a catapault.

To see it go to:
http://www.bussetech.com/lego/
and cross your eyes.

Let me know if you'd like to see more -- maybe I'll do a series.

Cool!  But that's actually not a cross-eyed stereogram.  What you've got
there is a relax-eyed (or parallel-eyed or free-viewing) stereogram, meaning
that if you cross your eyes, you'll see the 3D effect backwards and it'll
look very strange.  Instead, let your eyes relax (focus at infinity).  Then
it looks beautiful!

BTW, if you break the image into two halves, then you can easily present
two alternative views, to let people choose which method (cross-eyed or
relax-eyed) they're most comfortable with.  Here's an example:

   http://www.fibblesnork.com/lego/spiderwalker/pov-stereo1.html
   http://www.fibblesnork.com/lego/spiderwalker/pov-stereo2.html

Or what some people do is put them on a single page, like this:

   http://www.ray3d.com/ultralightjpg.html

--Todd

p.s.  Some nifty non-LEGO stereo-3D links:
   http://www.3d-web.com/gallery.htm
   http://www.ray3d.com/
   http://home.wxs.nl/~bulk0010/
   http://www.dnai.com/~threed/