 General / 6818
Re: What pieces do you wish existed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:02:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Greg Majewski writes:
What pieces do you all wish existed?

None of this really gets in the way (I just figure out some other approach) but
I might as well mention them because I do wish they existed (-:

The mysterious missing #4 angle brick. At one point about 6 or 7 years ago LEGO
phased out piece 4273 and replaced it with pieces 32014, 32015, 32016 and
32034. The new pieces create angles of 90, 112.5, 157.5 and 180 degrees, but
the old connector could also be used to create a 135 degree angle. They even
left "#4" unused to make the omission more obvious. Why?

A small ball-and-axle connector (I make these myself, see
http://www.mrob.com/lego/mod32168.html )

Something like the current 1x4 liftarm, but 9 studs long, with a round hole in
the center position and full-thickness cross axle sockets at both ends. This
would permit building linear wheels (see
http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/killough.html) using the smaller type of
balloon tyres and would also help in some of my other polywheel designs.

Gears with every number of teeth from 9 up to about 60 (you would use these in
pairs that add up to spacing that works right for the axle hole spacing, and
you could create pretty nearly any ratio you want)

Several different sizes of thin concentric cylinder axle pieces, and special
gears to fit on them, for building clockwork devices (this is the type of setup
where you have several coaxial shafts running at different speeds, like the
second hand, minute hand and hour hand on a clock) specifically so I could
build an accurate working model of Jupiter and its four large moons.

- Robert Munafo                            http://www.mrob.com
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13