 General / 6576
Re: What pieces do you wish existed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 16:48:10 GMT

Greg Majewski wrote in message ...
Hello all, • [...]
What pieces do you all wish existed?

Hehe, does this include RCX inputs and outputs? The list could get pretty
large - Mmmmmm, miniature video camera with built-in vision-processing chip
;-)
More seriously, though, I feel that it'd be nice if they gave us a small way
of getting three-fold rotational symmetry more easily. There's the "2712
Technic Rotor 3 Blade "[1] that comes on the Super Car's engine (and
others), but that's about it (although you can get the same effect with
hinge bricks you don't get the very useful axle hole on the rotational
axis). Three-fold symmetry can look really good in many designs but it
methods of creating it always seem to be either bulky, fragile or hard to
interface with non-3-symmetrical areas of a design. A version of the Technic
rotor with 4- or 6-stud blades would be nice, as would a brick-thickness
version with studs (or axle holes) that pointed outwards from the axis of
rotation instead of along it.

Re plates with studs on BOTH sides:
When I was younger (and rougher with Lego pieces!) I found that the round
bits sometimes broke off the "4081 Plate 1 x 1 with Clip Light"[1] pieces.
Eight of these separated round bits could usually be stuck between two 2x4s
to give a quite solid connection - hey presto! Studs on both sides. The fact
that it's not 1 plates' thickness (well, it wasn't back then) was not
usually a problem, as this typically would only matter if the bricks
connected back around again elswhere in the structure, in which case they
couldn't connect normally anyway because the stud orientation would be
wrong. So if you've got more of this small part than you need (and if you
don't mind mutilating Lego[2] of course) then perhaps you might try it.

Happy mutilating,
Paul
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shuttle/5168/

[1] From http://home.att.net/~partsref/
[2] I never deliberately did this to my pieces "4081 Plate 1 x 1 with Clip
Light". Generally I don't yearn for pieces TLG have never designed - I have
too much thinking to do deciding how to use the pieces I've already got. I
think I'd be having more fun this way too. But that's just me, of course.