 General / 5140
Re: Important Geocities Info for anyone who uses them
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 18:39:30 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:

Mike Petrucelli wrote:
To anyone who has a webpage on geocites like I did.  Be advised that now
Yahoo owns them and they have changed their Terms of Service thusly:
[snippage of how Yahoo! can use any material submitted to them]

Does this mean that material submitted to Geocities before they were bought
out by Yahoo! is subject to the same interpretation?  I certainly didn't
submit my works to Yahoo!...

The say they can use your copyrighted material for anything they want
and yet also state:
[snippage of how Yahoo!'s property is Yahoo!'s property]

Well, actually they say that to post stuff on Yahoo! you have to turn over
your copyrights to us forever...don't they?

I suggest emailing the copyright Agent and letting her know that you no
longer wish to support a contradicting stance on your legal right to
control your copyrighted material.

I personally have no stance here, as I published my works in an "extremely
open source" frame of mind.  However, for others who might be shaken by
these events, I might suggest a form letter drawn up for others to use...

I published my creations on the internet with the expectation (read hope) that
someone would like them enough to download them and keep them and say to there
friends, "hey, check out what this guy is doing." I just cannot stand when a
company who is encouraging you to create good content for them so that they
made advertise turns around and says...we can do anything we want with your
stuff. I will not create a web page on any server that says we own the content
you have placed here. Since I am no trying to make money off of my creations
(couldn't even if I tried) I do not want a company coming in and selling off
my ideas and telling me I cannot sell them.

I think everyone should be aware of what they are giving up. Thank you for
letting everyone know about the Yahoo! policy.

Chris

Here is the Terms of Service agreement in total
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Darth Maul Lives

You think? It is true that we never saw the body.....cool.