 General / 5142
Re: Important Geocities Info for anyone who uses them
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 18:48:09 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote:
Sproaticus wrote:
Mike Petrucelli wrote:
To anyone who has a webpage on geocites like I did.  Be advised that now
Yahoo owns them and they have changed their Terms of Service thusly:
[snippage of how Yahoo! can use any material submitted to them]
Does this mean that material submitted to Geocities before they were bought
out by Yahoo! is subject to the same interpretation?  I certainly didn't
submit my works to Yahoo!...
Well, actually they say that to post stuff on Yahoo! you have to turn over
your copyrights to us forever...don't they?

Yuck.  And other four-letter words.

I personally have no stance here, as I published my works in an "extremely
open source" frame of mind.  However, for others who might be shaken by
these events, I might suggest a form letter drawn up for others to use...

Actually, I just had a 180-degree turn in my point of view, with screeching
tires.  Yahoo sucks, Geocities sold out, and my rights are on the line
here.  Not to mention the LUGNET FAQ items I've compiled for Todd...

I've decided to fork over $10 a month for a telnet account on Illuminati
Online; it seems just a little bit more honorable and I *like* Steve
Jackson.  As a result, my e-mail address will change soon, and my Geocities
page will wink into a demi-existance visible only from Yahoo's backup tapes.

But on the plus side, I'll get a shell account (yay), and I'll be able to
use CGI on my Web pages (yay) ...aaaaand no banners (YAY!).  This is sending
back big readings on my yay-dar.

As for the LUGNET FAQ items, I'll figure something out...

I published my creations on the internet with the expectation (read hope) that
someone would like them enough to download them and keep them and say to there
friends, "hey, check out what this guy is doing."

Thank you for putting into words which I couldn't enunciate.  :-,

I just cannot stand when a
company who is encouraging you to create good content for them so that they
made advertise turns around and says...we can do anything we want with your
stuff.

And this is the fugly part of it.  With the ads, they're making $$$ off of
my stuff *already*, without even grabbing it for other nefarious purposes.
We're simply posing in front of someone else's billboard.

*sigh*  So much for the freebies, neh?

Darth Maul Lives
You think? It is true that we never saw the body.....cool.

You know, we never saw his personality, either...  :-P

Cheers,
- jsproat

Darth Maul Lives