 General / 5159
Re: Important Geocities Info for anyone who uses them
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 20:30:32 GMT

The following now appears as an Important Message on the first page of the
Memebrs Screen:

Dear Homesteaders,

We've heard your concerns about the Yahoo! Terms of Service, especially the
section of the Terms regarding content that you include on your Yahoo!
GeoCities site. We'd like to clarify our intentions.

Yahoo! does not claim ownership of the content on your site. We never have.

One of the terms in the Yahoo! Terms of Service grants us the license (in other
words, gives us your consent) to use the content on your GeoCities site. We ask
for this license to do the job of serving your pages to the world, but Yahoo!
agrees to the following rules with respect to the content on your GeoCities
site:

     You license your content to Yahoo! so that we can display the content on
your GeoCities site and promote the Yahoo! GeoCities services. The license
exists for as long as you continue to be a Yahoo! GeoCities homesteader, no
longer.

     Yahoo! has the right to reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, and create
derivative works of your content only for the purpose of hosting your GeoCities
site and providing and promoting the Yahoo! GeoCities service.

     Some people have asked if under these rules Yahoo! can do things like
publish a book or make a movie using your Yahoo! GeoCities homepage content. We
cannot.

We intend for these rules to be legally binding on Yahoo!.   And, as the
lawyers say, to the extent that any of these rules conflict with or modify the
Yahoo! Terms of Service, these rules will prevail.

Folks, please know that we've built our network of services and tools by
committing ourselves to our users. Starting in the early days of the Web with
the Yahoo! directory, we've always made it our job to respond to your needs. We
understand that we owe any success to you. We have no intention of violating
the trust that we've built with you over the years.

We're blessed to be working in an industry in which, on a daily basis, we hear
the good and the bad directly from people like you. We listen when you talk to
us. The recent merger of Yahoo! and GeoCities does not (and will not) change
that.

We understand your recent concerns, but there are some very basic and important
reasons why an online company such as Yahoo! asks for such a license.

For starters, we use many computers to serve to the world the millions of
GeoCities home pages. In order to display your pages quickly and not lose any
of your content (say, in a computer crash), we often need to copy your files
onto more than one computer. Very simply, the license assures that we can do
this.

In addition, if we choose to promote your page on the top of Yahoo! GeoCities,
or anywhere else on the Yahoo! network (even, for example, in a marketing
promotion of Yahoo!'s many services), we need to reproduce the content. Again,
the license assures that we can do this.

There are many times when we use other companies to help us serve web pages on
our global network. Sometimes information is changed as it is served to the
world. For example, if your page contains images in JPEG format and the other
company's service uses GIF format, your images may need to be adapted to fit
in.

These are just a few reasons. Also keep in mind that the Yahoo! GeoCities Terms
of Service (which have been standard on the Yahoo! network) are very similar to
the terms of service of many major Web sites and online services, including
other home page providers.

We feel the recent merger of Yahoo! and GeoCities will provide many exciting
opportunities for our users, but if you'd rather not keep your home page with
us we, obviously, will respect your wishes.

Follow this link and we will remove your home page and account as soon as
possible.

           Thank you for your time,

           The Yahoo! Team