 General / 50393
  Selling someone else's work on Ebay

Out of curiousity, a couple times a month I search Ebay, looking for people selling LEGO creations of mine. Sadly, I often come across one or two a month. These people either claim it as their own, or make no mention that they copied the (...) (20 years ago, 22-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

SNIP... (...) Chalk it up as your own personal experience and put it away for a lesson learned. You'll end up with clearer head, more friends than enemies, and experience for future situations. What if LEGO would have done the same thing without (...) (20 years ago, 22-Mar-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

(...) Touché! (...) Or..."imitation isn't the sincerest form of flattery; it's theft". JOHN (20 years ago, 22-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

Well, IANAL, but I would think that by putting the step-by-step directions on a public website you're encouraging people to build a globe of their own. (Great model, btw - I might have to build one!) But, I also think that the seller should give you (...) (20 years ago, 22-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

(...) eBay has a system in place for owners to protect their work from copies. Here's a link for more information: (URL) (20 years ago, 22-Mar-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

(...) In the specific case of eBay, you can report the violation to them and, if you provide sufficient evidence, they'll yank the listing. -Orion (20 years ago, 22-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

If you ask a seller a question, are they required to post it (in the "questions" area at the bottom)? If so, we could bombard the auction with, "Can't you just go to brickshelf and download the instructions?" -type questions. Of course that won't (...) (20 years ago, 22-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

"meenkee" <meenkee@cox.net> wrote in message news:IDrn12.21Fs@lugnet.com... (...) people (...) month. (...) copied (...) sell (...) thing... (...) a (...) Globe I (...) create (...) I (...) community. (...) (URL) (...) Do (...) emailed the (...) (...) (20 years ago, 22-Mar-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

(...) No. Displaying the question publically is an option for the seller. And can't happen at all during the last 12 hours of an auction. Clark (20 years ago, 22-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

(...) Well, even if they copied your instructions verbatim it doesn't seem they've done anything illegal, since there was no restriction on use of your instructions. If they did indeed copy it and are using your work to profit (with their own (...) (20 years ago, 22-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

(...) Ahh, I was wondering that myself (I actually did ask a question regarding the origin of the design to the seller and it didn't appear public, so I assumed that the seller had the control to suppress it. JOHN (20 years ago, 22-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

(...) Let me clarify a few things here. #1 I have more than 20 years experience with brick. Why did you assume that your creation had been copied? You didn't even ask if it might be similar in design. YOU, sir, started with the rudeness as evidenced (...) (20 years ago, 22-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

(...) For years now the OpenGL programming books have featured a LEGO globe on cover. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of. (URL) Have fun, Don (20 years ago, 22-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

(...) There's also a similar one in the Ultimate Lego Book. It's shown on the front cover, and IIRC inside as well: (URL) (20 years ago, 22-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

Derek, since you've come out of the woodwork, let's have it out. (...) Are you serious? I assumed you used my instructions since it is exactly the same. Looking at images side-by-side, I see one or two bricks out of place. The other 2,387 are (...) (20 years ago, 22-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

(...) At least he lost money on it- maybe that will stop him... (20 years ago, 23-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

(...) Don't forget that - the map of the earth is quite static, it's the same for us all - the way to produce circles and spheres with Lego have been published many times. Taking this in consideration, it would be quite difficult to produce two (...) (19 years ago, 23-Mar-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

(...) Agreed. (...) I gotta disagree with this - Yes, if you were painting a globe on a spherical ball, then I would agree. But you're using Lego and imposing a rectilinear pattern onto a spherical object. So, you're going to have 4 flat "faces" (...) (19 years ago, 24-Mar-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay

Ok, I wanna chime in here--in a nutshell, I can find faults with both of ya. (...) Ok, When I was in college (circa 1997), we wanted to use some trademarks, but without paying a licensing fee (T-shirt sales for a scholarship). We were told by the (...) (19 years ago, 24-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Comparing Globes

(...) So based on your argument, both of these globes (URL) must be derived from this (10 year old) version (URL) because the 4 corners of the earth are clearly in the same location? Hmmm, I'm not completely convinced. However, I do admit the globe (...) (19 years ago, 24-Mar-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)