 General / 50404
Re: Selling someone else's work on Ebay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:37:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Corey Sanders wrote:
   Out of curiousity, a couple times a month I search Ebay, looking for people selling LEGO creations of mine. Sadly, I often come across one or two a month. These people either claim it as their own, or make no mention that they copied the instructions from my website. If I wanted to, I could make them and sell them to make money. That’s not the point, it’s the principle of the thing... copying someone else’s work and representing it as their own. This month, a particularly irritating one came up on Ebay. Some one is selling the Globe I created instructions for:

As you can see from the folder, many people have used my instructions to create a Globe of their own. That’s why I did all that work in the first place. I could’ve just created mine and no more but I did a LOT of work and created instructions. I did this to make my own contribution to the AFOL community.

Here’s the irritating auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1186&item=5963673227

Please compare this person’s pictures to the pictures in my Globe folder. Do you see any similarities? To my eyes, it is an exact duplicate. I emailed the seller and got this response: “First of all, your methodology for assuming it is your work seems a bit hasty. For instance, many different DVD players are on the market, but they weren’t all designed by the same person.” Later, he says, “If you have evidence that my work is yours and you can proove some type of copyright infringement, have your lawyer serve papers to that effect. You will also incur any of my legal fees if your case is lost.” Things go downhill from there. I had emailed the seller to ask that he add information to the auction, that it was my creation and to post my website. I have got nothing but rude emails and long explanations about how it is a coincidence that his globe looks like mine. The most irritating thing about this, is that this isn’t just a nobody copying my work, as is usually the case, this is a fellow AFOL. He is “tiltawhirl”. I won’t mention his real name. Here’s his MOC page and Brickshelf gallery:

http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/231

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Bolliger

I have people copying my work quite regularly, but to have a fellow AFOL do it, and then to get an email with a ‘prove it!’ ‘it’s a coincidence that it looks the same!’ and other rude comments like “Wrap your head around that!”... ugh. I am just disappointed and disgusted to get that kind of treatment from someone in the AFOL community. I have sent private emails to this person with no resolution, so I wanted to turn to the community to get some advice. What should AFOL’s do when their work is being blatantly copied and sold? Sitting back and doing nothing doesn’t seem to be the answer.

Corey Sanders www.brickitgood.com

Let me clarify a few things here.

#1 I have more than 20 years experience with brick. Why did you assume that your creation had been copied? You didn’t even ask if it might be similar in design. YOU, sir, started with the rudeness as evidenced by your first communication to me.

#2 although the two creations are very similar, there are subtle differences that make this creation unique, and therefore not a copy.

#3 Your futher communications to me were blatant ad hominem attacks without basis, based on your first incorrect assumption.

Mr Sanders wrote: “>I received your email via the ebay system regarding a supposed stealing of work. First of all, your methodology for assuming it is your work seems a bit hasty. >

I see I’m dealing with a liar and an idiot. I’m not surprised. I looked at all your pictures, side-by-side, with my model to be sure. IT IS THE EXACT THING. Don’t tell me we BOTH created a 5,000 piece model with the exact same bricks, wow quite a coincidence. That’s sarcasm in case you missed it.

(Unrecognized paragraph format >)

Yea, your “eye” looking at MY instructions.

I see your parents made two mistakes. First, they had you. Second, they neglected to teach you any morals. I personally can’t imagine selling something that someone else made, without even mentioning it on the auction, or asking permission FROM THE ACTUAL CREATOR. Did YOU spend yours making these instructions?

You afraid to tell me your name, “tilt”?

You are just a nobody and a no talent, selling other people’s work.

SAD”

What is truly SAD is that this supposed Adult fan of lego needs to stoop to the level of insulting my parents. Yes, thats really mature.

I’m too tired to post much, and to f’ing handicapped to care anymore. But I wanted the record set straight. Feel free to enjoy the further antics of this thread.

Oh and thanks Kelly for at least seeing the viability of an alternative theory to this whole debacle.

As an aside, all of the proceeds of the auction will be donated to the Multiple Sclerosis Society. Another fact that Mr Sanders left out in his communication.;)

Kind regards

Derek