 General / 50393
50392  |  50394
Subject:
Selling someone else's work on Ebay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:22:14 GMT

Out of curiousity, a couple times a month I search Ebay, looking for people selling LEGO creations of mine. Sadly, I often come across one or two a month. These people either claim it as their own, or make no mention that they copied the instructions from my website. If I wanted to, I could make them and sell them to make money. That’s not the point, it’s the principle of the thing... copying someone else’s work and representing it as their own. This month, a particularly irritating one came up on Ebay. Some one is selling the Globe I created instructions for:

As you can see from the folder, many people have used my instructions to create a Globe of their own. That’s why I did all that work in the first place. I could’ve just created mine and no more but I did a LOT of work and created instructions. I did this to make my own contribution to the AFOL community.

Here’s the irritating auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1186&item=5963673227

Please compare this person’s pictures to the pictures in my Globe folder. Do you see any similarities? To my eyes, it is an exact duplicate. I emailed the seller and got this response: “First of all, your methodology for assuming it is your work seems a bit hasty. For instance, many different DVD players are on the market, but they weren’t all designed by the same person.” Later, he says, “If you have evidence that my work is yours and you can proove some type of copyright infringement, have your lawyer serve papers to that effect. You will also incur any of my legal fees if your case is lost.” Things go downhill from there. I had emailed the seller to ask that he add information to the auction, that it was my creation and to post my website. I have got nothing but rude emails and long explanations about how it is a coincidence that his globe looks like mine. The most irritating thing about this, is that this isn’t just a nobody copying my work, as is usually the case, this is a fellow AFOL. He is “tiltawhirl”. I won’t mention his real name. Here’s his MOC page and Brickshelf gallery:

http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/231

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Bolliger

I have people copying my work quite regularly, but to have a fellow AFOL do it, and then to get an email with a ‘prove it!’ ‘it’s a coincidence that it looks the same!’ and other rude comments like “Wrap your head around that!”... ugh. I am just disappointed and disgusted to get that kind of treatment from someone in the AFOL community. I have sent private emails to this person with no resolution, so I wanted to turn to the community to get some advice. What should AFOL’s do when their work is being blatantly copied and sold? Sitting back and doing nothing doesn’t seem to be the answer.

Corey Sanders www.brickitgood.com