 General / 49890
Re: Toy store won't sell me any Lego!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 03:09:17 GMT

Michael, I worked at KB Toys back in my college years (1996-1998) and the poicy
at the time was that we (KBToys) had the top toys that others did not.  At the
time that was the Hasbro Star Wars Figures, Hot Wheel Cars, and off course the
Holidy Barbie.

It was pushed on us every day to let customers know that we always have the top
toys in stock.  I remember on several occasions where regular "Joe" would try to
come in and take 20 to 30 Star Wars Figures and I could not let him have them
even at retail.  This was because the DM wanted to ensure that we had enough on
hand so that we never ran out.

It did not make sence to me at the time why not sell it all if someone really
wanted it and it was a REATIL or HIGHER (as is typically of KBs).  It was not
until I became more comfortable with my DM and talked to him about this issue
did I understand the reason.

My DM told me that his performance was based in part by sales at his stores, but
two bigger factors were customer service and the perception of our customers
that we ALWAYS had the top toy.  He told me that secret shoppers would judge our
customer service and also talk to the general public in the stores/malls to find
out what they thought about the store.

That was the policy from the TOP at the time.  Based on what you are
experiencing that policy/mentality is probably still in place.

-AHui