 General / 49881
Re: Toy store won't sell me any Lego!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:07:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Kingsley wrote:
In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.general, Michael Hall wrote:
I just got back from my local toy store (I won’t
name which one yet) and was told that I couldn’t by large amounts of Lego
from them anymore. This seemed really odd to me. I’m friendly with everyone
in the store and know most of them on a first name basis. The assistant
manager was really annoyed because I spend any where from $500-$1500 a week
in the store. She said she was told by her district manager that she could
be accused of being my distributor. I have his phone number and have tried
calling him, but haven’t gotten a response.

What really gets me is that while I do part out and sell some of the parts I
buy, at least half of it I keep for myself and my boys. I pay full retail
and don’t get a discount from them, so I don’t know why they would turn away
a good paying customer.

Wow, that's CRAZY. I guess maybe I could see them worried about the stocking
situation-- since IIRC Toys R Us managers can't control their inventory, they
just get what's sent to them (assuming this is TRU or some store with a
similar policy). Keeping the shelves stocked so they're presentable IS a
valid concern, after all. But seriously-- they're *begging* for you to shop
elsewhere.

I agree with Dave, this is crazy, I think it might even be considered silly or
rediculous.  If you are actually paying retail as you say I can't see why they
would care how much you bought.  From your description I have to assume this is
either TRU or even more worrisome a LEGO Brand store.  A small independent
wouldn't have a "district manager" and come to think of it I don't think LEGO
Brand stores have "district managers" either so that leaves me to beleive you
have to be talking about TRU.

I would think TRU would take any sale it could at the moment.  Sure their might
be some stocking issues as Dave says it still makes no sense.  Unsold inventory
is expensive, I would think opening up room for inventory would be beneficial to
them.  If I were opperating a store and someone wanted to buy $1500 of stuff I
say GREAT!!!  I would rather sell the $1500 to one person then spread it out
over 20-30 individual buyers.

Now I wonder how they could possibly implement this policy.  Do they have your
picture at every register with a sign saying "Don't sell to this person as they
buy to much".  I suppose they could flag your credit card but that is easy to
get around by paying cash.  Hell if they are going to be jerks about it and you
pay retail anyway I would find another store and just not get freindly with the
management.

This is one of the dumbest stories I have heard in a long time...

Eric Kingsley

Oh, what the hay. I don't want to get any of the employees at the stores in
trouble, because they are all really friendly and great people, but I will
release the store name anyway. The assistant manager, who is my favorite, is
leaving anyway. The store is KB toys. I'm sure TRU, S@H and all the other stores
I buy from will welcome my money if KB doesn't want it! I'll let you know what
the DM says.