 General / 49265
Re: 4886: First building since the minifig to have 4 walls?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:33:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Johannes Koehler wrote:
   Hello!

   Getting 4886 today got me thinking... is this the first LEGO building since the introduction of the minifig to have 4 walls? Nothing jumps out at me while browing Town sets at Brickset; they all have the back wall open for the ‘hand of God’ to place minifigs in them.

In the early days of the Minifig the buildings were designed to have four walls but could be opened. Sets 374 and 376 come to my mind there:

    374 Fire Station
LEGO > LEGOLAND Town

    376 House with Garden
230 elements, 2 figures, 1978
LEGO > LEGOLAND Town

It’s a pity there ain’t minifigs included with the new set 4886. Former Basic building sets in the 5-year-old and 7-year-old range came with figs, in particular when the main models included houses.

    710 BASIC Building Set
elements, 2? figures, 1983
LEGO > BASIC > Universal Building Set

In this set the house models also are with four walls. It’s not even meant to be opened. According to the instructions, that is. Of course you can modify the design to your liking.

Bye
Jojo

Thanks, Jojo, you beat me to the punch. I was going to mention the sets with the hinge bricks like #376 and also #375/#6075 the Yellow Castle, which also technically had 4 walls and hinge bricks.

This is a real nice set. The only thing that strikes me as being odd is that “vent” or whatever is under the leftmost gable. I think that a 1x2x2 black window would have been ideal there.

That begs the question: Are the black and gray 1x2x2 windows “retired” in those colors? That recent Lego train Caboose (forgot the number) had 1x2x2 black airplane windows instead of regular 1x2x2 black windows.

In my own collection I only have 2 of the black 1x2x2 windows (from 70’s-80’s train sets), and 4 of the gray 1x2x2 windows (from 7740 Intercity Train). I am afraid to buy more (on Bricklink) because one day the same thing may happen with them that happened with the steep slope and low slope yellow outside corner bricks in the last six months, namely they went from being rare $5 pieces (only found in #375/#6075 or #7740) to being common 60 cent pieces available in bulk quantities from TLG sources.

I know that there is that “director” at TLG in Billund who controls what colors parts may be released in, and which colors parts may not be released in. One day he/she (or their successor) may say “hey lets make black or gray 1x2x2 windows again”. But that time is not at hand just yet, as we can see with this Designer set.

Just something else to think about...

Gary Istok

A Lego addict since 1960.