 General / 49276
Re: 4886: First building since the minifig to have 4 walls?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:28:05 GMT

Hello!

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
Thanks, Jojo, you beat me to the punch.   I was going to mention the sets
with the hinge bricks like #376 and also #375/#6075 the Yellow Castle, which
also technically had 4 walls and hinge bricks.

Sorry Garry, I didn't mean to steal your thunder :-)
#375, though, didn't come with closed roomes. The towers are open at two sides,
as well as the towers in #6080 and #6085 are open at one side and so on.

(I'm a bit embarrassed that #3739 and #4707 didn't come to my mind, me, being a
Castle-lover.)

That begs the question:  Are the black and gray 1x2x2 windows "retired" in
those colors?  That recent Lego train Caboose (forgot the number) had 1x2x2
black airplane windows instead of regular 1x2x2 black windows.

At least the grey windows are definitely retired as the grey was changed. (And
no, please don't move this post to .color just because of this simple but
inevitable sentence!)

am afraid to buy more (on Bricklink) because one day the same thing may
happen with them that happened with the steep slope and low slope yellow
outside corner bricks in the last six months, namely they went from being
rare $5 pieces (only found in #375/#6075 or #7740) to being common 60 cent
pieces available in bulk quantities from TLG sources.

True. For building purposes those pieces have become very lowpriced now.
However, in order to complete an original #375 you still need original yellow
slopes without the additional support beams within (look at this:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Jojo/sonstiges/slope75corners.jpg (don't
own/don't have handy new ones in yellow, but red serves the same purpose)). I'm
not sure if there is anything that distincts old 7740-slopes from new yellow
ones. Maybe there is a part number imprinted/not imprinted or something like
that?

As for 2x2 windows: I'm pretty sure the material of the glass in the frames has
changed. Back then the glass always was somewhat "dirty", even if brand new,
newadays the glass is always crystal clear.

Anyway, small differences like mentioned above won't be of help when buying
parts on BrickLink.

Bye
Jojo

(Sorry for derailing this thread.)