 General / 48990
Re: new pictures from the Lego archive Billund
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 20:55:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jan Katanek wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Sven Reger wrote:
   Hi, today I had the chance to visit the Lego archive in Billund.

Me too, I had the chance to visit the vault last week with a few LEGO fellows :-)

   I just uploaded the pictures I made on my homepage.

I uploaded mine to brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=97505

   I had only about 40 minutes this time so I made only a few pictures.

We were lucky to spend about 3½ hours down there, thanks to Jan B. for being so patient with us ;-)

best regards, Jan

Thanks for the great pictures Jan!

A lot of AFOLs won’t be familiar with some of these, so perhaps I can shed some light a few of them.

1824(.jpg) This appears to be refills to the Danish (only?) retailer brick boxes. These are unknown to AFOLs, and I mention them in my upcoming CD. All of continental Europe had Retailer Window/Door Boxes (#214 1-10) where you could purchase individual classic windows and doors from a big (nicely decorated) cardboard box that the retailer had behind the counter. And it appears that Denmark sold the Lego bricks in this same way. I have yet to see a Danish Retailer Brick box, and wonder if it has a #215-#223? on the box top. This picture shows the refills. When the retailer gets a refill, the retailer simply removes the old cardboard, and replaces it with one of these (minus the top). An example of a Danish Brick retailer box, would be a true rarity.

1825 & 1826. This shows the old Lego slotted bricks together with the windows that fit between the slots. This particular box may be a (very very rare) #700/2 or a #700/3 or a #700/3a. These were produced during the 50’s until 1957, when the classic windows (with the un-slotted bricks) came out. Note the blue and yellow windows/doors (even the doors had a lot of small window panes).

1826 & 1828. This rare Church, produced from 1958-62, was known as #309 (in Denmark from 1957-58 it was known as #1309).

1830, 1831, 1832. Sets #695, #698, #699. These contain the very collectible 1:87 metal wheeled cars and trucks, produced from about 1955-1970. These particular cars/truck sets were produced from 1965-69. The larger ones have sold for $1000 in mint. Notice that the top long truck on the #699 set is a Shell tanker. Earlier versions of this set had an Esso Tanker (the Esso Service Station was discontinued in 1966 to be replaced by the Shell Service Station). Note the small clear plastic garage in the smaller car set. The smaller cars (no vans) were sold in these plastic garages from 1962-66, and the Lego company seemed to have some left over, and used them in these sets (ditto Samsonite had some left over and used them in the #536 Designer set). In my upcoming CD, there are 18 pages of info on all the different cars/truck models and sets available, as well as some real rarities.

1834, 1835, 1836. This is the #080 Basic Set (largest basic set of the time) of 1967-70. It was rarely shown in late 60’s Lego catalogs (they usually only mention the set number). I believe (off the top of my head) this may be the only time that Lego basic sets and Lego trains came together in one set.

1850, 1855, 1859. These were promotional items that were given out to visitors to Billund back in the 60’s.

1851, 1860. These were Minitalia sets. They were produced for Italy, and are compatible with Lego. I especially love the “mullioned” (many small paned) windows in these set. I wish TLG would produce some of these today! Why was Minitalia produced at all? Good question for TLG. Perhaps regular Lego was doing poorly selling in Italy. Anyway, Minitalia was only sold in the early and mid 70’s. The Minitalia bricks had no “LEGO” on the studs, and (for example) 2x4 bricks had either the 3 tubes underneath (that we are familiar with) or 3 “X”s in place of tubes. All the bricks appear to have hollow studs, and all the windows appear to have full studs (the reverse of Lego bricks and windows of the time). The windows appear to have no “glass”. Again I discuss Minitalia in greater detail in my upcoming CD.

Well I’ve blabbered (German: “gepappelt”) long enough.

Gary Istok A Lego addict since 1960.