 General / 4802
Re: TLG 1998 Annual Report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:57:23 GMT

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:03:02 GMT, Scott Edward Sanburn
<ssanburn@aeieng.com> wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote:

Maybe it's a communication disconnect:

Market Researcher says: "Kids are frustrated with advanced models"
(hidden meaning, not clearly stated: "let's make general sets")
Product Developer hears: "We need simpler models"
Result: Town, Jr.

Steve

Yes, probably. I guess it would not be as bad if they provided a better, (I.E.
More advanced) Town sets, or General sets. They don't, and all of the other
themes are becoming that as well. It is horrible, I cannot comprehend TLG
planning or thinking on this issue. Even Technic is undergoing this
transformation. I like the continuation of getting computer programs into the
picture, but sacrificing age-old wisdom and quality of their other product lines
is not, in my estimation, a wise business move.

I agree with what you say.  I hate to see TLG sacrifice advanced sets,
because some (even most) kids don't like them.  If kids need simpler sets,
make some of each.  On model sets, replace (or enhance) the age range
indicator with a "challenge level" scale.

But nearly everything TLG is changing seems to indicate how they are trying
to cater to the short-attention-span-theater.  The ongoing juniorization of
all lines and multiple boxes in large sets are two changes which spring to
mind.  At least with Technic, it can be billed as a style change as much as
a simplization.

Steve