 General / 47789
Re: Stunning new Maersk set?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2004 21:24:25 GMT

snip
Wait, where did it say you had some sort of god-given right to have a promotional item paid for by Maersk, an international shipping firm? That's right, too frickin bad.
snip
> This vitriolic entitlement to Lego sets (and for that matter, perceived
accountability) that AFOLs have is what you should be disgusted with, especially
with promotional sets.  A few years ago, I inquired about Velux houses with
Velux Canada, after buying five skylights (Yes kids, that's what they make--high
quality double pane, argon filled $1200 skylight windows, not cool collectable
Lego sets suitable for ebay) for our house.  The Velux marketing manager here in
Toronto told me he was so fed up with "Lego fans" because they kept calling him
for free sets.  Their business is not selling Lego houses, it's selling
skylights.  I was thoroughly embarassed to be a Lego enthusiast that day.

I don't think anyone here expects them for free, and you are *wrong* about Velux
selling the sets. They sell them on their web page:
http://www.velux.com/international/ under inspiration then velux gift shop, and
I'm sure they make money on them. Maybe the afol pestering did some good in this
case.

Anyway, I think the majority of the irritation stems from the fact that many of
the promo sets are among the best/better sets that have been released and we a)
can't get our hands on some of them at all, and b) can't get most for a
reasonable price.

James