 General / 47786
Re: Stunning new Maersk set?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2004 03:53:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, Benjamin Medinets wrote:
Figures...Lego will only sell these to Maersk, and Maersk will only give them
away to their buddies...sounds like a crock of crap to me.

To me deals like this make me sick.  Its like they thumbing their noses at
all their customers...sure we have capacity to sell you what we want, but
we are not going to, so too frickin' bad!!

Wait, where did it say you had some sort of god-given right to have a promotional item paid for by Maersk, an international shipping firm? That's right, too frickin bad.   This isn't something moral like not selling HIV drugs to African children.  It's Lego.  Little plastic blocks.

In my opinion, the maersk set has got to be the best or one of the best
sets Lego has made this year, and NOT available to the general public.
Bah!!  KKK should step down, and all the management team except Jake and
Kate should be fired!!

Sure, it's a stunning set.  I love it, great design.  But there's absolutely NO
reason why they have to make it publicly available to anyone.  They made a
private deal with a customer who requested a set.  What they choose to do with
it, is up to them.  They could grind them all up with a Jack Lalaine fruit
juicer for all we know.

This vitriolic entitlement to Lego sets (and for that matter, perceived
accountability) that AFOLs have is what you should be disgusted with, especially
with promotional sets.  A few years ago, I inquired about Velux houses with
Velux Canada, after buying five skylights (Yes kids, that's what they make--high
quality double pane, argon filled $1200 skylight windows, not cool collectable
Lego sets suitable for ebay) for our house.  The Velux marketing manager here in
Toronto told me he was so fed up with "Lego fans" because they kept calling him
for free sets.  Their business is not selling Lego houses, it's selling
skylights.  I was thoroughly embarassed to be a Lego enthusiast that day.

And another thing, where do you get off telling someone who you barely know
apart from the introductory chapter of "Doring Kindersley's Ultimate Lego Book!"
to step down?  Do you even KNOW any of the names of the management team?  Or
what they do in their jobs?  Or what they have done, apart from whatever you can
read into product announcements and scanning the Brickset recent additions page?
Or really, are you sitting on the sidelines, armchair product-managing like a
Monday morning football fan?

That's like saying I think the CEO of Proctor and Gamble should step down
because I don't like the way New Tide smells.

Sorry...for the rant, but this really makes me mad.

Dude, whatever you think about new grey, ugly sets, promotional products, etc is
fine.  We're all entitled to an opinion.  But making irrational and uninformed
claims against Lego, Maersk and the like, is just silly.  You look stupid doing
so.

Calum
PS-And anyways, German readers have already said they will be selling it on S@H,
so don't worry.  We'll get this amazing set and it'll be all good.